Roland TR-8S

Agree on so many levels ! My workflow is a little divided between 3 drum programming techniques (technically 5 if you include A4 and OT, but I stopped with those haha) and I feel that’s too much – my creative brain craves simplicity and limitations. I often sell gear (then later regret it) because I felt like I had too much going on and that stifles me. I’ve had so much success with the RYTM in the past 4 years (both in live gigging and with releases) I feel like I almost need to focus on what I’m best with.

Can anyone else speak to this ? Do y’all find its good to have multiple lines of creative workflow and pathways ? Or does being extremely adept at 1 or 2 methods seem the best way ?

2 Likes

very true

1 Like

I’ve already shared my 2c :slight_smile: but I personally think having a mix of workflows like you’re wondering about can work really well when you have ample enough time to dedicate to production. I am painfully lacking that these days so I need to lean on my fluencies

Can you clarify the source of information that says there is a master limiter on the TR-8S?

1 Like

Only my ears - it’s not documented anywhere. It can drive RYTM, A4, and Octa well into what would be in the red and it doesn’t distort at all. I spoke with a friend of mine who’s had his TR-8S since they came out and he agreed. I need to do some further testing, but it seems if you set an output level and drive the internal synths or external inputs it will not exceed that level.

Oh ok. The audio diagram in the manual indicates a soft clipper after the master FX. I will have to experiment with this my self.

I definitely agree about the sound quality of the TR-8S, it is so good! I am thinking of sequencing it from my OT, but running my OT outputs into the TR-8S to utilise that soft clipper.

1 Like

Thats how I’m working right now ! I have RYTM and A4 into OT and then OT into TR-8S. With some compression on the master FX I can get everything glued nicely for all hardware jams.

3 Likes

And how does that compare to running everything into the OT and using the OT track 8 master compressor?

1 Like

This is interesting. I’ve been doing some stripped back stuff recently that amounts to a Monomachine running through a Boss DC-2w into the TR-8S and I can definitely get clipping, but I’m wondering if that’s input/converter clipping or just turning the EXT IN level up too high on the TR-8S and getting internal clipping (maybe this “soft clipping”).

I think I need to re-calibrate my kit gain staging a bit, I’m probably running stuff too loud.

1 Like

I prefer the compressor a lot over the OT comp. Also the output of TR-8S is quite a bit higher so if you slam everything into it you get a nice clean almost mastered sound. Plus this way I get to keep my track 8 :smiley:

For live I was previously using a FMR Audio RNC and a Source Audio Kingmaker Fuzz as my “master chain” to get my elektrons loud enough to fit next to dj’s. With TR-8S I think I can achieve this while also throwing down some slammin live beats. RYTM is great, but it’s nice to have a bit of variety.

3 Likes

Interesting. Thanks!

Confirmed. Soft clipper works as one would expect. It is very soft, more for catching peaks from the master fx I should imagine. What I did notice was, I could get an extra 6db of gain by running the OT through the TR-8S ext in not tweaking anything just plugging the OT into the TR-8S instead of my mixer. And there is lots more gain available in the TR8-S kit settings…

I did notice an increase in noise floor though. Not sure where that is coming from.

I liked using the Drive master fx rather than the compressor. Just a touch. Grit dirt and grime yes please

3 Likes

Didnt know there was a soft clipper on the outputs of the TR-8S. But ive been very impressed by the soundquality of it. Sounds really good. Main thing i love is the faders for easy drum builds. Very playable.

I like to use a bit of drive too. It doesnt sound as good as running it through the Analog Heat, but in a mix it works!

1 Like

Is is it possible to run the external inpur through the effects, like reverb, delay?

Yep!

Excellent. So glad to hear you found nice results ! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes they have send for the reverb and delay fx and go through the master effect. There is also sidechaining on the master comp fx (linked to one of the drum instrument tracks, so e.g. if you mute the kick the sidechain effect stops - much better than the MX-1 and its sidechain track). You can choose to use the inputs as a stereo pair or 2x mono, but I’m not sure the two mono channels can have different fx send values.

1 Like

Yeah man it is well worthy if attention. I know what you mean about the TR-8S sequencer, but, if you have at least one elektron box, then you can just use spare elektron midi sequencer tracks to sequence it. Best of both worlds!
Im going to do that and then I can have all my mute buttons on one machine rather than spread across two.

Those TR8-S ACB hihats… oh my…

1 Like

Can the EXT IN be two mono sources?

Yes. But they get panned hard left hard right. You can use the left input as a single true mono channel.

1 Like