Roland TR-8S

Jesus F Christ - that sounds like a zerg throwing up.

1 Like

All this talk of no trig conditions makes me wanna reach for my bustenhalterberechnungskontrol

2 Likes

There is an app for that (BĂŒstenhalterberechnungstabelle):

1 Like

Yes, I did indeed click on that link

2 Likes

Is this actually true? It looks like it works Elektron style* in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdAhyDXGWVM

• given a pattern 12345678, Elektron style p-locking of x on step 6 would be 12345x78 whereas the Circuit and Korg style p-locking would be 12345xxx
1 Like

The step parameter locks are latching on the TR8S, so it’s a bit different then the trig locks on an elektron sequencer. Kind of like sending midi cc values from a DAW. if you send midi cc to open up the filter on your synth it stays open until you send a new value.

Edit : Don’t own one myself, only read about it.

1 Like

In that video he has set a motion parameter on every step, so each step is “locked”. If he turned the motion record off and added a bunch of new trigs in between the ones he’d already set, they would play with the parameter value of the last locked step, until another one with a locked parameter value plays.

The SE-02 sequencer works the same way.

3 Likes

The parameter lockswork fine, it’s just a different implementation. In some ways it actually makes more sense.

thanks, that clears it up for me

I just got one of these things, any tips or tricks on using/programming it or playing it live? Should I just look up tips for the TR-8 since there doesn’t seem to be much on the TR-8s yet?

I’m not sure how I feel about it, I’m a drummer and used to playing/using the Rytm which the pads and live jamming lend nicely to my style of playing/programming, but step recording is a bit weird for me and the insta play isn’t as fluid or satisfactory as drumming in a rhythm on the rytm! Besides that, I def like it more than the Drumbrute which I found to be rather unreliable, and I appreciate the variance in sound that the TR-8s provides, although it definitely doesn’t replace the need for my rytm (which I may bust out soon if I tire of this).

2 Likes

Use samples.

Been playing with mine for a few weeks now. It’s a fantastic machine. The big difference over the TR-8 for me isn’t even the samples, it’s the per-sound effects and the way that you can use those filters/drive/etc to punch everything up to such a degree. You hardly have to do anything to it afterwards.

Really enjoying just running the Monomachine through it and getting basically finished tracks out of it.

4 Likes

Through the “external in” I guess

Yes, exactly. A little bit of the master compressor works pretty well too.

2 Likes

Thanks for writing this. I’d love to hear more feedback from owners now that they’ve had a while to learn it and use it. So tempted to upgrade from my TR-8.

1 Like

Lucky you! I often take advantage of the TR-8 EXT. IN to run the DT through the MX1. Looking forward to try the TR-8S but the units are difficult to find in Northern Europe and remain too expensive for the time being.

You’re welcome, I was a bit surprised there hasn’t been more feedback on here. My concern about upgrading from the TR-8 was that it would be less immediate, more fussy, more complicated, etc, when actually they’ve done a great job of making it just as hands-on and as quick to work with. The screen helps rather than distracts.

The main thing I’m not wild about is the little sound drop out when switching kits (to be precise, when switching between patterns that use different kits), but I don’t think my system software is up to date - I think they’ve improved that, I need to get my act together and update it.

2 Likes

With the TR-8 I usually had the Machinedrum (non-UW) running through it, with the TR-8 main outs then bussed through a distortion (actually a Torcido and into an MX-1 via Aira Link) and the MD bass drum out on a separate channel. The next thing I want to do is sample loads of my MD sounds so I can create the sort of mixed drum tracks in the TR-8S that I was doing with two machines.

1 Like

Cool. If you have an Octatrack, I really would love for you to try to pair it with your TR-8S. This elektronaut showed us the way, but he only had the TR8 for a couple of days. Now that you have a TR-8S I wonder how far you can push this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR2yC4xZPA4&t=1s&frags=pl%2Cwn

1 Like

I’ve been surprised and puzzled as well at the lack of feedback and good YouTube videos of the TR-8S. I don’t mean Roland demos or technical walkthroughs - those have been pretty good. I guess I mean non-affiliated users just jamming on the TR-8S. I’ve been searching almost weekly for “dub techno” “TR-8S” “jams”, etc. and have not found much at all. I want to see some solid TR-8S jams with guitar pedals used on separate outs and things like that - a real hands-on setup jam. Not sure why there aren’t more on YT. Maybe people are too busy having fun to record anything for us on-the-fence types.

I’m really trying to decide between Digitakt and TR-8S for a little hardware-only jam station away from the computer.

This is exactly my concern as well. I have the TR-8 and really like it for its simplicity. I was worried the TR-8S would be too fussy. I was even thinking about pairing them up. That might be pretty awesome actually. I’d love to have TR-8, TR-8S, and Digitakt sitting in a row, but I’m afraid I can’t justify the cost of having all three. :thinking: Been trying to downsize and be more ITB for most things.

Anyways, thanks again. Hope more TR-8S owners will chime in (and make more vids)! :smiley:

2 Likes