Roland TR-8S

Haha, nice! I was starting to feel worried for your DJS-1000.

1 Like

HAHA! That’s the Toraiz AS-1 my friend :slight_smile:

You can feel bad for the Toraiz sampler. It’s currently in the corner like a kid that got punished :confused:

1 Like

Yea. There’s not much random about the TR8S. You could set an LFO to the gain/volume to get sounds to come in and out randomly though.

Or…tap the trigs in and out yourself :wink:

Also, if any one is looking for an 8S - Patchwerks in Seattle appears to have some

1 Like

I miss 'em a little too, but I also really appreciate that with the TR8S you have 8 pattern variations and can assign 2 of them to be fills. You have to play your variations instead of program them, which is what I think you can boil down the main differences between the machines to (playability vs programmability)

1 Like

I guess I would miss PRE, NOT-PRE, NEI-, and NOT-NEI the most due to the unique kinds of rhythmic counterpoint you can get quickly with these. 80% of the fun in the x:y types seems to be covered pretty well by the 8 variations that can be chained and auto-filled at certain bar intervals. Not a huge fan of the probability based TRC for beats personally

I’m still a bit confused about the CTRL/parameter recording. Is it right that you can only have automation of 1 parameter per track at any given time?

Is it then still possible to edit the other parameters after you recorded a CTRL line? Using the value encoder?

What if you change the parameter assigned to CTRL when you already have a modulation going on? Does the new parameter starts being modulated and the previous ones sits at the last value of the automation before the change?

Just 1

Back on the romplers :stuffed_flatbread:

2 Likes

Oh no, I thought you and the DJS1k were 4 life! :slight_smile:

Me too :disappointed_relieved:

But here’s the set-up for the time being

2 Likes

Why isn’t the DJS1k out of sight again?

I’m not saying lack of trigcond is a killer issue, just saying that once you kind of had that potential plugged into your brain, it’s kind of hard to going to a “language” where they don’t have those words… Kinda like how German has all those crazy-ass words that are really like 5 words jammed together… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Never know TC cud come with an update…would be killer on tr8s

Like…throatwobblermangrove.

Or Hottentottenstottertrottelschwiegermutterattentaeterlattengitterwetterkotterbeutelratte.

4 Likes

I used one of the MPC Live’s Q-Links to put this little jam together. Midi clock to the 8S. THIS is my combo. There’s some old EMU Extreme Lead Rompler action to!

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-may1-8slive

2 Likes

The condition that you can’t be fully creative with a drum machine that does not have trigger conditions:

Schlagzeugrechnerbedingtauslöservermissendkreativblockade

8 Likes

Trommelrechner*

1 Like

I’ve been looking for a name for my new minimal techno stuff, thanks.

5 Likes

“Schlagzeug” means all percussive instruments including drums, which is more appropriate in the case of the TRs, as e.g. 808 cowbells are not in the Trommel family, which all have membranes. A drum computer is not a Trommelrechner, it’s a Schlagzeugrechner in my opinion. Rhythmusrechner would work too, as it does rythms.

1 Like