Roland TR-8S

The tr-8 had some kind of 808 emulation on the sequencer that you could turn off.

Does the tr-8s have this as well? Also wondering if it’s some kind of ACB-modelling of the sequencer or just a slight adjustment in timing?

I went through and cleared all the kits (basically ~#8-70) by hand. It wasn’t terrible, but it was monotonous. I’m ok with the default kit being an 808. It would be a whole different story if the default kit used “yeeaaahhh!” and “c’mon!” samples. Thankfully that wasn’t the case.

1 Like

Curious why you did that?

I kept the default kits… some of them are useful and there’s plenty of empty user kits anyway.

Just personal preference. To me it’s the difference between this thing feeling like a fresh new drum machine rather than an MC505.

I kept the basic x0x kits for starting points, but when it comes to anything else I usually know exactly what I have in mind or I want to explore on my own. I find making a kit from scratch (or in this case just a basic 808 kit) is less distracting than modifying something that’s already there and kind of annoying to begin with.

2 Likes

I see, makes sense. I often hear about people clearing the demo kits/patterns/etc. of new drum machines and I was just curious.

@CitizenJ:

I’ll get there - reorganized the studio with the TR-8s between the MDUW on the left and the OT on the right, but plan to record this weekend.

2 Likes

The samples are mono on the TR-8s, correct?

A few of the earlier presenters said it was stereo, but I just want to make sure as I think that was a mistake.

You can load both mono and stereo samples

If there was an option to clear all kits at once I would have done it by now too. Personally I haven’t bothered as I never use the 808 kit so it wouldn’t help me. I have created my own default 909 kit and I just copy that whenever I want a default kit.

I’ve made a new ER-1 kit. Is anyone interested in this one? Let me know and I will upload.

1 Like

I usually just randomly start with any kit. I like that because FX settings, pan, etc are already set up. Then I just tweak to taste rather than start from scratch.

But I have created/tweaked a kit that’s my go to lately. Has all my FX, assignable outs, etc ready to go. Create new pattern and assign that kit. That really helps.

Yes. Yes. please. Your kits rule. Thank you!

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, had a busy few days. Here is the Electribe ER-1 kit for TR-8S :smiley:

@atimchak @CitizenJ

4 Likes

Using the Tr8S trigger out to the SH01a. The SH01a is becoming my favorite synth. So simple. So versatile

3 Likes

both Red Dog and Rimmers are indicating more units into the UK this week or next…

Trying to break out of a rut. Just going for it with the trigger out to to the Toraiz

1 Like

The more I play with this thing the more I appreciate Elektron’s sequencers… I sooooo badly want trig conditions on my TR.

autofill not doing it for you as a similar sort of pattern evolution tactic?