Roland TR-8S

Had my first go with the tr-8s last night and it was a lot of fun. It actually felt like I was jamming and not just working/programming the same the same beat to death. It’s nice to have a ‘dumb’ drum machine again.

4 Likes

So if you enable the TR-8S to send pgm changes to the machindrum not only can you change kits seamlessly on the TR-8S but you can do so at the same time on the machinedrum for even more mayhem. It’s like they were made for eachother and their sounds complement eachother so well.

There’s few things better when it comes to gear when a new piece of kit brings life into older gear…

3 Likes

Hoping it pairs nicely with A4. All going to plan a month or so till I can afford…

Even as a rytm user, MD + TR8S sounds like a killer combo! The immediacy of Roland combined with the depth of elektron, whats not to like :diddly:

Tr-8s + DN is proving to be quite fun. DN provides just enough Elektron complexity and tr-8s provides just enough ‘jammability’. I’m also loving the trig out o the tr-8s - trig’ing other step sequencers is such a fun thing to do, especially without having to sacrifice a voice for it. I do wish the trig track on the tr-8s could have its own last step, but it seems like this is not possible. It’s still better than nothing, though.

1 Like

I just got over a really bad flu like cold - happy to be playing with the 8S again :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :blush:

9 Likes

I like that! It sounded great. Was that all tr8s?

1 Like

My $.00002… It’s essentially this kind of behavior that makes me prefer synths over sample-based stuff…

Granted, my primary electronic music is techno and/or berlin school synth stuff (i.e. highly repetitive crap my wife can’t stand), but it’s the minor variations with synths, especially analog ones, in this music style that add subtle variations that gives your mind something to latch onto that’s moving…

I hate dance/techno where every, damn, hit, is, exactly, the, same…

But I think it’s kinda cute people freak out when synth-based gear acts like, well, synths… :slight_smile:

(BTW, this was not direct at you @tsutek, I just replied in the wrong spot! :slight_smile: )

My poor Rytm now knows what a cheated-on lover feels like I think… Don’t worry honey, I’ll be back… I’m just hanging out with a japanese chick for a while. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks man! I also used the D-05 and SH-01A. Samples are from various plug ins (Korg M1 and Massive)

I know what you mean. I love my MPC live because you can always have 4 round robin samples for this, easy to add just a touch of modulation to a drumsound, especially hihats.

But tbh it doesn’t kill me if nothing changes, as long as it works… I’m ”that guy” who thinks 1bar locked groove vinyl loops are ”songs” whereas a busy complextro tune can just sound boring and annoying :nyan:

3 Likes

N O i S E . 1 !

Those locked grooves. I know what you mean.

The good ones might just be really good programming and production. I have a bunch from the 90s.

I’m not a synth guy. I prefer samples. BUT. The D-05 and SH101 produce some really good classic sounds and aren’t as daunting to edit.

I sample my synths.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea I started this morning. I’ll see if it goes anywhere…

1 Like

The main thing I don’t understand is why the designers would make the arguably least used knob also the biggest knob

1 Like

This happens a lot with other manufacturers too. I don’t get it either. The tempo on my Engine is massive.

The tempo knob is HUGE…

Another idea after work. Ran out of time to arrange parts and the swooshes and sweeps…but playing with an idea

2 Likes

I looked for information in the manual about the programmability of the ACB voices but couldn’t find anything. How much control do u have over an ACB voice compared to say a BD voice on Rytm.

Totally depends on the acb tone category. Look the reference manual at pages 30/31.

TR 8S is way behind programmability compared to Rytm. The main point missing is the capability to layer the synth voice with a sample. You can set attack behavior, tune enevelope on TR8S modelled sounds, and what is editable for all tunes (panning and such), but there is no equivalent to the various parameters of the synth machines of the rytm and the various methods to use the filter to sculpt the sound. The LFO on the Rytm works per voice, on the TR8S, you only have one LFO for all voices.

TR8S has, however, one insert effect per voice, so you use distortion and compressor with individual settings, which makes up for the limited choices.

The point of the TR8S is not, I think, its programmability I believe it beats the Rytm in accessability and performance features.

1 Like

Yes ! Programmability vs jammability (is this even a word ? ).

2 Likes