Roland TR-8S

Thanks for checking.
If you automate some of the knob parameters (like decay and tune) on the tr-8s, doey it output recorded midi cc?

Thanks for the information. It’s no doubt a really nice drum machine and it sounds (from what I’ve heard so far on youtube and soundcloud) really nice. Need to find a store and try one out for myself.

1 Like

I made another kit to share.

This time I made the kit in Microtonic and then sampled it for the TR-8S. Instead of Toms I made a few bass sounds.

The download link is in the video description…

3 Likes

Sounds great! Reduces my ever-diminishing interest in the Bassbot TT-78, which appears to be a nice machine, but suffers from lack of MIDI Program Change support.

1 Like

One of the videos I watched said it, I think it was a Roland employee IIRC.

An update has dropped - seems to address some of the issues mentioned here re faders, kit switching etc

Update history
[ Ver.1.03 ] APR 2018
Functionality Improvements
Performance when a number of level faders are operated simultaneously has been improved.
The required time and the timing of kit switching that occurs when PATTERN are changed has been improved.
The pulse waveform when outputting a trigger-out pulse from the ASSIGNABLE OUT/TRIGGER OUT jacks has been improved.
Other minor improvements in operation were made.
Bug Fixes
The following bugs were fixed.
When the external clock is in operation, effects fail to correctly synchronize with the tempo.
Other minor bugs.

3 Likes

It’s interesting to see the word “improved” rather than “fixed”. I guess if it’s no longer noticeable then that’s fine

I read reports that moving all 11 fader at the same time as fast as possible doesn’t make it stutter anymore.

Also: Kit switching now seems to be scary fast and could be even used as performance feature. You can scroll through all kits and it switches them instantaneously without any stutter.

Nice to see Roland fixing bugs that fast :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Man I do not need another drum machine but this thing looks awesome :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

loving mine so far.

great news re the update - will get that installed later, but it’s hands-down the best all-round drum-machine I’ve ever had, all things considered.

1 Like

Damnit stop! :]

3 Likes

Agreed, such a great machine!!

1 Like

Oh damn that was quick! And with 2 new kits from Xox to play with!

I haven’t done a deep dive yet, but clearly there are kits associated with patterns, and I’ve read in the manual that you can turn this off via the global “sw” utility, but I’ve done that and it doesn’t seem to work. Do you have to save the system first?

Are you guys having issues with the kit switching to the preset kit too?

And sorry if I’ve missed something basic.

Thanks,
Alex

1 Like

I have another Kit on the way, keep an eye on my YouTube channel :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow - you are so generous Xox! Thanks!

Looks like a new firmware is out. I haven’t updated but I’m actually excited about the trigger out update. I’ve been into that lately and noticed issues.

haven’t done any triggering yet…

new firmware update was a breeze though.

Most importantly it cures that pattern/kit change gap thing totally - no problem at all now to hot-swap between patterns /kits. Live performance dream :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So happy about this. Now you’re not limited to just one kit and its sounds.

1 Like

So just to be clear, once you adjust the master “Sw” setting, you can change kits but keep the same pattern without any lag time? Kickass!

So just to follow up on my own post, yes this works, but frustratingly there is no global assign out menu - you have to go into each kit and save your output configuration (for those who want to separate channels.) I suppose once this is done and saved per kit (to 90 kits, bleh) it won’t be an issue, but maybe they’ll do a workaround in an update.