Roland TR-8S

I don’t expect these things to be excavated in a few hundred years and still be functional. Build quality is ok, but nothing to write home about. The velocity sensitive pad feels kind of lame, even compared to the Rytm ones. Overall it’s what I expect, no surprises either way. I haven’t read a lot about TR-8s failing after a few years of use and I don’t think the successor will be worse in that department.

Definitely not a tank, but for sure not a toy.

So, safe to say the new version is not a big step up in build quality, but not a step down either?

The base of the case is plastic and I’ve seen better plastic. But the faceplate is metallic. Pots and sliders are ok, same as the original TR8. The unit is rather lightweight given its size. The finish is fine.

1 Like

My big concern with this product is everybody will sound the same -more or less and thats the last thing id want to do is be using the same sounds as the thousands of potential TR-8S users that will end up with this machine,
Thats why i will avoid and get a second DJS-1000 instead for just $400 more-- --no two DJS-100s will sound the same and thus your sound will have its own unique space in the universe.

1 Like

It‘s kind of ironic saying that about the umpteenth x0x clone, don‘t you think?

5 Likes

Every tool is a (unique) weapon if you hold it right.

Phil Collins used a 909 in Take Me Home and it sounds nothing like Jeff Mills.

14 Likes

it well worth having this debate ----there will be thousands and thousands of TR8-S users.

I disagree. There already are thousands of people using 808s, replicas of 808s, simulations and emulations of 808s, samples of 808s. People can build 500 more 808-influenced machines, and it will not put much of a dent in the musical climate. As a listener of music, it’s my job to sort out which I like and don’t, and I’m not going to hold the artist’s tools responsible as the deciding factor.

What did the artist do with his tools? That’s the important part.

I’m worried about this piano situation. Literally millions of pianos have been made, and I’m worried that people that play them could sound like I do when I play one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you really worried that if you go on stage with one of these, and someone likes the sound that people are going to buy them left and right to try to steal your sound? We’re a bit beyond the “throw some black tape over the logo” years.

There are pieces of gear that I own, that others own as well. I am constantly seeing people using things completely differently than the way I do, things that never would have occurred to me. It’s not because I don’t know the instrument, it’s because my mind works differently than that person. That’s where musical differentiation occurs.

5 Likes

Exactly this, also:

Marvin Gaye used an 808 and it sounds nothing like Drexciya.

Etc.

4 Likes

If sounding like everyone else is an issue, I’d import your own samples. The TR-8S has sample import.

Also, and there is no disrespect here, but no one cares. No one’s paying that much attention.

Just have fun.

5 Likes
  1. Create a simple pattern using all voices.
  2. Play it.
  3. Scroll through the preset kits.
  4. Realize the wide variety of sound design you can get out of the box because it offers all those ACB models plus a flexible sampling voice plus effects for each voice plus reverb and delay send effects.

Rip it up and start again :wink:

1 Like

Which is great. Much more people can now afford to own these instruments and play them.

And I’d give anything to sound like Drexciya (doh)!

I think like Kraftwerk they excel in simplicity making it sound not so simple.

1 Like

I haven’t heard that in a LOOOOOONG time. I also just heard a set that had The Bells in it. Interesting day today. :slight_smile:

Indeed. :face_with_monocle:

i like it , did you used overbridge ?:joy:i was meaning usb multitracking for recording ?

1 Like

Thanks man! No, just straight stereo out to stereo in.