Roland TR-8S

Bingo.

It’s almost like, Roland listened. Great! Well. This is what you asked for with all these extra features.

Granted, Roland could’ve probably implemented some of them more elegantly.

That kind of sucks, can you, once you have your own samples loaded, skip past all the dross?

It dumfounds me when they put gimmick samples in a machine, it is not like anyone Is going to use them, same for preset patterns, leave them on the toy keyboards where they belong.

There is an option in the utility menu for patterns and kits to be autosaved, so you don’t have to explicitly write them.

5 Likes

SHIFT + scroll gets you where you want to go fast. Go straight to Imports

Also, I use the onboard samples. The preset patterns also provide me some inspiration. I’ve learned a lot about programming from presets. I’ve found the in-house people making them are sometimes producers I look up to.

2 Likes

I’m fine with no song mode, but would like to be able to change patterns with a MIDI footcontroller.

Can’t the factory samples be replaced by swapping out the SD card? Or are they burned into ROM like the Octatrack’s demo mode samples?

What @djadonis206 said.

Most of the samples are perfectly usefull. It’s just that I would have preferred more percussion samples instead of those in the FX_HIT and VOICE categories. But that’s just a personal preference and who the fuck am I?

The preset kits and patterns are good and a great way to learn what the box can do. YMMV, but I think we have come a long way since the MC-303; most boxes these day come with really decent stuff that shows off what can be done and that you can get rid off easily.

Thanks! I totally overlooked that.

D5B0AE23-F403-45A1-AC26-646480BAC4D7

Now it suddenly makes sense; you can enable Auto Save when you’re working on producing new kits and patterns and disable it when you’re using the box for performance to make sure you always get back to the same state when you turn it on.

9 Likes

It’s all internally. The SD card is only used for transfer and backup. You don’t need to have a card inserted to use the box at all.

2 Likes

Yeah, I can see why preset patterns are in there, but if they can’t be deleted scrolling through can be a ball ache. It is enough to put me off buying one if they can’t be deleted.

When I got my electribes it took about 20 minutes to delete all the presets from it, IIRC I had to overwrite them all manually with a blank pattern.

SHIFT is your friend

2 Likes

Clearing patterns is fast. Initializing all kits is going to take a while…

1 Like

How do you clear patterns quickly?

Hold clear and the pattern Trig down at the same time

2 Likes

Got my machine in today
Just subbing it in for the RYTM that’s now gone and it sounds fantastic in the mix
Instantly found myself dropping acid breaks along with the Avalon and tempest
Does exactly what I need it to, don’t need it to be an elektron , I have the digitwins and MnM for that

3 Likes

Still trying to figure this thing out

https://soundcloud.com/djadonis206/2018-march-13-tr8s

5 Likes

What do you mean? I thought it was designed to perform with because of its simplicity.

I’m not sure what your quoting. I can’t see it

Can you see this quote?

No. Maybe click the quote thing. Or shoot me a direct message

Seriously. It takes like minutes to just jam with this thing. Here’s something else I tried to pull together tonight

4 Likes