Roland TR-8S

can you test it please?

It only does that when switching kits, right? If you have the same kit on both patterns, thereā€™s no fade directly before the pattern youā€™re switching to?

Roland can probably make the silent bit shorter with some smart optimizations, but weā€™ll never get effects and decay trails across patterns.

check Echo Inspectors aka Lance Harrison and Mark Baumann from Melb / Brisbie and Trinity AU along with Simon Mann and many more from Sydney. @djsm is also here on Elektronauts :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just was wondering if someone was turning the reverb knobs while here hands were just not on the maschine (see the last minute). Would be also interessting which sounds came from syncussion and all the other stuff. Maybe magic things happend with the roland. definitly some grazy cam movement too.

Same kit. No break between patterns.

The box is isnā€™t unusable by any means. But. If you wanted to play a seamless live set with multiple kits, then you might take issue with it.

Or like in my case, I wanted to swap some samples in a kit for a track. Well. Now I canā€™t swap samples without that break.

1 Like

Interesting thanks for posting. Does it do it with ACB as well or just samples? Any way of minimising it with a drop at the end of a pattern?

BTW Random question - Are you Adonis M Smith?

Thatā€™s an ACB kit

Unfortunately, no. Thatā€™s not my full name :wink:

1 Like

Could anyone with a TR-8S please check, if the CCs of the recorded motions/parameters get output via Midi? Thanks!

Remembering how this turned out with Korg (i.e., never fixed on the Elektribe), I will follow with interest what Roland is going to do about that. This is, in my opinion, not a simple problem to fix.

2 Likes

From the looks and sounds of it they have added a fast fade when changing sounds, possibly as a (not very effective) temporary fix to prevent glitches. For me personally it is not a deal breaker as I could work around it or put up with it, but even so Iā€™d expect it to be fixed fairly quickly now that Roland have acknowledged it on their FB page.

1 Like

Good to know, but not enough to scare me away especially since there is no clipping or loss of timing. This isnā€™t automatically a doomsday situation but I hope they tweak the algorithm better soon!

1 Like

there is a loss of timing

@Trevor Well Iā€™m going off this at the moment because mine hasnā€™t arrived, any examples or further info?

where did you see/hear it has a song mode? didnt pick up on thatā€¦

just the other day i says to myself, i says, ā€œself, what this crazy world needs to really set it straight is YET ANOTHER 808ā€

Can you expand on this ?

It has no song mode. Roland has a manual you can download and read.

While it does sounds like a bug, I would probably not have come across this myself.

The way I work would be to set all the patterns up for a Song using the same kit (with eight variations, pattern chains and fills). In this senario there would be no audio drop out.

I guess if I ran out of channels and wanted a different sample during a part then I might create a slightly different kit, but this would be rare as 11 channels for drums/one shots is probably enough for me as I also have the DT for samples.

I think Roland will fix this though, they should anyway.

1 Like

PSA: For some reason Roland does not include a universal power supply with the TR-8S. Iā€™ve ordered mine from the UK and I now have a power supply that wonā€™t work over here in The Netherlands. :confused:

The box sure looks pretty thoughā€¦

EDIT: Donā€™t try this at home!

1 Like

Get the vendor to send you the correct one. Iā€™ve requested after having the wrong one sent from Europeā€¦ Never an issue.