Roland TR-8S

Oh yea, if you have a source like that, WAYYY better/easier to hook that bad boy up.

OctaFO! :slight_smile:

How I wish that the Rytmā€™s outputs could be assigned, not hardwiredā€¦ Then could get rid of a sub-mixer. TR lets you totally assign right? Like you could have TR1/Kick on one out, then the next 5 voices on another out, then the last 5 on another out right? Then you just hook each out to a DJ mixer channel and lock yourself in a room for like 3 years. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Havenā€™t dug into this on the TR-8S yet, but yeah that would be super sweet. Get a Model1 DJ Mixer in the mix and Bobā€™s your motherā€™s brother.

:thup:

5 Likes

Iā€™m close to pulling trigger on a DB4ā€¦ Model 1 is SOOOOOmaximum overkill! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I posted this on GS.

Bad news.

I made a variation of a kit. Put it on another pattern. Now when I switch between patterns that have slightly different kits, thereā€™s a slight pause. I only changed 1 sound.

Such a bummer. This is kind of a deal breaker for me.

How would you even play a live set with multiple kits if thereā€™s no seamless transition between patternsā€¦let alone switch up sounds from pattern to pattern.

Whattt? This box has the electribe sampler curse?

I am quite sure Roland will fix it

Ok. So thatā€™s a no go for me, then.

Not that it ever was a go, actually.

But if it had been, it wouldā€™ve been a no go now.

1 Like

I replied to you on GS so wonā€™t repeat it here, but will test for you today when mine arrives. Could be a bug. Is yours running the latest firmware? (1.02 I think)

Had an electribe sampler for months and was not even aware of this curseā€¦ I guess I can safely ignore this :joy:

Is there actually a slight delay, or are the effects tails getting truncated?

Fascinating. The sound quality, inflexible sample transfer and this pattern cutoff bug was what made me sell mine. Indeed a case of YMMV.

The lofi samples onboard the electribe was a downer as well. Korg used reduced sampling rate for the factory sounds in order to fit more into the machine, and didnā€™t feel it was necessary to advertise thisā€¦ And intentionally crippling the filter too, what was up with that? IMO the electribe sampler was a missed opportunity for Korg, first the intentionally cripple the volca sample so everyone would buy the electribe samplerā€¦ And then they release a half-baked product and kill its development before it ever matured. Piss poor IMHO.

When I saw the TR 8S specs. I was immediately reminded of the Electribe 2 concept and thought how great it was that Roland did improve that with a better UI.

That pattern gap of the ER2 was one of the things that let me go for an AR. Sad to see Roland making exactly the same mistake. So no buy, can not have that in a performance groove box.

Believe me, once you kno it is there, you will notice. Itā€™s a curse

1 Like

Thisā€¦ I can relate.

What do you mean ?

Yes indeed. I actually think the volca sample is more interesting. At least what is does to the sound can have musical applications, like crunchy beats.

Ohā€¦ and the volca sample has immediate pattern change with no gap too :wink:

2 Likes

I got rid of the electribe last year and I have no plan to get another one as Iā€™m very satisfied with the DTā€¦ but Iā€™ll test it eventually.

Even if the TR is cursed (:joy:) it may not be a problem for me as the way I play with a TR does not imply changing patterns but editing one pattern on the fly, playing with faders, fills, etc. Joys of very simple music I guess.

plastic or not, my original TR-8 was built like a fucking tank. I expect this to be no different.
I think Iā€™d take Rolandā€™s build quality over our hosts here on this forum for the most part.

On GS

Yep. 1.02 and it sounds like enough of a pause to where the new kit is being loaded in.

Iā€™ll post a video later this morning, today.

Not good for me