Roland TR-8S

Not my cup of coffee either, but never did like that “aving it” techno sound myself, even in the mid 90’s when it was at its peak.

1 Like

@darenager

Ohh Techno is my cup of tea alright there is some horribly sounding distortion on that recording, very sharp and brittle nastiness going on there and yes I’m sad to say the patterns are pretty horrid as well.

I’ll be picking up an analog 909 clone sometime in the near future, I’ll have no part in those digital abominations :smiley:

1 Like

Yes I like techno too, just not that ‘trying too hard to sound hard techno’ :wink:

But yes I agree, it sounds horrible to me too, but hey its subjective and if it makes that guy and others happy then great.

1 Like

Techno:

Techno:

Techno:

1 Like

Pioneer have stumbled onto something really special with the DJS-1000. What you sample into it sounds better than the source. really really inspiring to use because of the form factor and pitch control and CDJ cue buttons.

i have an MX-1 and SE-02, A-01K and love them

1 Like

Im really really surprised because i have an MX-1 and it sounds incredible --my favourite mixer of all time. I was hoping they would use the same convertors on TR-8S?However djadonis i trust your judgement as you right on the money with the great DJS-1000.

I liked it so much I now use 3 of them!

1 Like

My favorite of those Berlin session vids. Not really a TR-8S showcase, but I like the less standard beat/groove.

5 Likes

Catnapp does very interesting stuff. There are some good live performance videos on YouTube in case you’re interested.

2 Likes

as is the single drum pad. In fact I love the UI of the 808, its very good compared to many other drum machine. I too have been contemplating about selling my boutique 08 - after owning an MFB 522 and AR808, the 08 sound doesnt satisfy me - but I want to keep it just for the UI (possibly using it as a MIDI sequencer to drive other drum modules in the future?)

Funny, TR-08 is probably one of my favourite bass drums ever, I even prefer it to my old 808. Heresy!

2 Likes

Could be, I dont really use the kick that much tbh. My fetishes with the 808 revolve around the snare drum, hats and cymbals, I could probably get by with only samples for the other sounds… Come to think of it, all my Roland drum machine cravings revolve around the brilliantly designad hihat, cymbal, snare and clap sounds. If there was a box that only gave me those sounds, perfectly reproduced, I’d buy one for sure.

Funnily enough, I think the TR09 sounds decent however. Subjective things.

At the end of the day, I know I will eventually end up with a Yocto and a Nava… Or the upcoming rumoured behri clones. Just for political and lyfestyle reasons :diddly:

1 Like

Nah, I have a TR-09 that I really dig. I suppose it eliminates any potential GAS for the new TR-8s… so I feel a bit detached, already owning a DT and having recently acquired a DN. The TR-08 is something I’d hold on to, though.

1 Like

The Rytm can do some very nice 808/606/DR-110 type hats and cymbals since the update a while back I think, strangely a lot of people don’t like the toms and hats/cymbals on the Rytm, but for me they are it’s stronger sounds, I often don’t like the sounds of the BD, SD, RS and Clap machines but others seem to love those, haha!
I suppose it is down to what kind of music we are making, don’t get me wrong for more experimental or not wanting to sound like classic drum synthesis on purpose I like the BD, SD, RS as they can make some interesting alternative sounds, but for those classic sounds I often turn elsewhere.

1 Like

Huh, I don’t think the TR8 s sounds thin in the videos…

1 Like

You have to use your samples. Sounds solid

1 Like

Yeah, the rytm can almost pull off the hihat sounds I’m looking for… But I am still struggling to get results that take 10 seconds or less on my mate’s 606 (programming in a hihat pattn and setting some funky accents)… The dynamic groove of the Roland hihats is wonderfully liquidy/glued somehow. Find it hard to match with the rytm.

As for kicks and snares, I either use samples or my A4, which gets me closer to the kind of kicks and snares I personally dig somehow. Takes only one voice from the A4, which still leaves voices for more synthy stuff. But man, static snare drum samples, rolls and fills just sound so bland with em…!

Well: rytm is more about programming than e.g. the TR-8/S. The same goes for all Elektron products. You have to go through many pages to get the desired results. All the devices just have 8-10 encoders and it takes it time to get nice sounds. Many people don’t even understand the basic structure/organisation of sounds/pattern/kits on Elektron devices at the beginning.

Of course one can learn all the shortcuts and get super fast with Elektron devices (see Cenk; the same goes to computers: I see some people knowing every shortcut and producing tracks faster than people with hardware), but at the end a device made for jamming and having most parameters available as knob will always result in faster, more hands on fun jams.

I appreciate Elektron devices for the depth and that they allow me to configure almost everything, while I appreciate many other devices for their “hands on”.

Totally. Sound generation only the Rytm can get very close, but the way the unusual VCA works on the Roland hats is where the Rytm struggles, try modulating the envelope and level to get that more liquidy movement.

1 Like