Roland TR-8S

not in Germany. Expected availablilty: Mid April.

We did not had such offers :-/

Nice-looking console. Strange how it’s being hyped as some kind of second coming… wonder if people will start dumping their boutique -08s and 09s (or are those collector’s items?), if their prices will go down. It still doesn’t seem like much competition for Elektron machines, even w/all of its bells, whistles, and supposed immediacy.

All I can think is I wish the Octatrack came in a form factor like this with all the individual knobs.

Going to keep my 09 but will indeed get rid of the 08 probably. Interested? :wink:

Got one from the UK; should arrive on Monday.

Well it is in fact the second coming of the TR-8 :joy: Aside from that though I don’t think I have seen too much hype, just people saying how they like the sequencing refinments and hands on control interface, to me that is quite a big draw because it means much faster and easier sequencing. (although perhaps slightly limited compared to Elektron)

To my mind and in my setup there is room for both approaches, it doesn’t really come down to which is better for me, but which is appropriate for the task required.

1 Like

The most interesting thing about the TR-8S is not even the box itself, but rather that Roland seems to be listening to its customers again after about 25 years…

2 Likes

This! If anyone’s followed Roland’s evolution since the 1st AIRA, it’s very clear the TR-8S is a product of everything they’ve learned and heard over the years.

Apparently the founder of Roland, Ikutaro Kakehashi was very much against re-issuing legacy Roland gear, which is strange considering how many iterations of things like the Sound Canvas and JV/JX versions were made etc, but since his passing and presumambly reduced input into the company in his later years, it does seem that the culture within the company has changed.

The MX-1, Aira euro modules and the boutiques are great products in my opinion, decent sound, capabilities and build quality and reasonable pricing, haters gonna hate but whatever!

1 Like

That just sounds nasty and not in a good way…

1 Like

That, and they’ve stared looking back at how features from their classic instruments have been used in a performance context.

It’s easy to overlook, but the way fills are implemented in the TR-8S is directly inspired by how this works on the TR-808 and TR-08.

I rather enjoyed the TR-8S-only techno set that was posted. For convenience, here it is again - just skip to about 4 min.

Looking forward to hearing more reports as more peeps get their hands on it. Not surprised at some of the limitations that have been reported already (eg. the CTRL knob thing) and actually look forward to more reality-grounding revelations ;). It still looks like a solid candidate to take over the role of central drum machine if I get rid of my rompler workstations.

3 Likes

Man, I just ordered one of these, and was all amped until I read this. Thin? That makes me want to cancel my order lol.

I should retract that statement, a little bit.

I’ve been cruising through their kits and it sounds ok.

I haven’t loaded my own samples yet. No SD atm.

The original TR-8 ACB sounds, sound good though.

They onboard samples are lacking, everything. Not the Loop Masters content that came with the DJS by any means.

Are you glad you got it? I’m most likely sticking with my order.

It’s fun. But I’ve only played with it for 2 hours.

Most of that time was trying to figure out how to do this or that.

BUT. And this is a major BUT.

I think I recorded a quick jam within an hour of owning the DJS. It was that inspiring to me. But the learning curve was way smaller. Likely because the DJS is more like an Elektron than the 8S is.

You digging the effects too? Curious about the reverb and compressor in particular. I usually always really like Roland effects.

This your first Roland TR-* box?

I had a TR-8 when it first came out a few years ago.

I made this with the TR8 and the AIRA Tb3 but was never inspired to do anything else with them

https://m.soundcloud.com/djadonis206/nine03

1 Like