Roland TR-8S

so what size SD card is everyone going for…?

What‘s the biggest it takes? There‘s your answer.

No idea, probably got some spare small ones lying around. Looking forward to trying out the various ACB models.

Literally one week from out of the blue product announcement to gear acquisition, seems like a really fast launch. Maybe because there was no prolonged hype that I was aware of.

1 Like

I have a 32gb arriving today, thats the largest I think

Juno has one in stock for those looking.

Someone get it with free Saturday delivery and post some vids up for us :smile:

Apparently the previous model TR-8 actually had good MIDI sync - by secondhand report - so I may try MIDI sync first before resorting to Koma/RYO attenuators and the trigger outs.

The OT does not have modeled TR-808, TR-909, etc; less than half the audio outputs, no trigger outs, no velocity-sensitive drum pad, no TR-REC workflow, etc. etc OTOH it does have stuff the other unit doesn’t, like 3 LFOs per track, trig conditions, etc…

Mines been despatched - Andertons UK

Will be here on Monday

Thanks governor
Yes I am aware the OT doesn’t have those things… it was a comment more on AUS pricing not the features between the too.
Ones a drum machine
Ones a sampler

I could have made it more clear in the original comment

2 Likes

And made of plastic so much for longevity.

Just updated, it will be delivered by this Tuesday !

I wonder if Roland will be able to put the right buttons on and the right way up? :rofl:

2 Likes

Whoa. https://youtu.be/W8KNVG1u0Rs

3 Likes

So I just walked into my local GC and they had one.

Step automation isn’t “per step”. You have to set the automation on the steps before and after

Also, for musical tuning automation, you have to assign Coarse Tuning to the CTRL knob. Essentially giving up whatever else you want to use the CTRL knob for.

Definitely doesn’t sound as robust as the DT or DJS-1000. Kind of thin. Maybe the samples. I don’t know. More will be revealed.

2 Likes

You just have to keep reassigning the CTRL knob

1 Like

Wow, just those two things halved my interest instantly.
The sequencer video made it look like per step parameter locking, and the pitch thing is lame.

Interesting, it sounds like its very much a fun sketchpad rather than a fully fledged sequencer/production environment. If it’s quick and intuitive I’m still interested but yeah, the CTRL reassigning could get old fast…

It seems primarily intended as a performance instrument. I think the artist demo videos Roland released make that very clear.

1 Like

You’re right. That’s why it won’t replace my DT but will compliment it. It’s really more a drum machine than a full featured groove box and that’s totally fine.

2 Likes