Roland TR-8S

Anyone have any examples of how wild the new FM sounds can get? Is the tr8s getting close to Nord drum type sounds?

I’ve not experienced a freeze myself with v2.5, but a Freeze fix is available in v2.51

1 Like

How do yo do this?

This is the TR-8S topic. That does send the external in to the usb

1 Like

Sorry mate, you’ve lost me…

1 Like

The T8 thread is over here: Roland AIRA Compact Series: T-8 beat, J-6 chord & E-4 voice

This is the TR-8s thread. The TR-8s apparently doesn’t suffer from the same problem. (I haven’t confirmed, as I use my TR-8s dawless)

1 Like

Oh man alive!
My mistake, I’ll see myself out :upside_down_face::+1:

Deleted post to avoid confusion :toilet:

2 Likes

Wow, okay - I didn’t realize I had missed an update, nor what I was missing out on with the TR Editor. Both are such great editions, I was already loving the FM machines so it’s awesome seeing them expand on that.

I spent a little time this afternoon building a kit with the editor and it seems like it’ll remove a lot of the friction around creating and editing kits for me. I still wish there was an easier way to import & create sample kits, but I also know I’m being lazy and just need to spend the what, two hours?, organizing folders and importing them into kits.

Recently got my TR-8S to relieve the Rytm of drum duties. NOTE to all Elektron users, powering the unit off will erase any unsaved changes! I am so used to the luxury of doing that with Elektron boxes, but not on this. Lost everything i worked on yesterday.

And I must say, the sound on it is much more meh than anticipated. I thought Roland, being their baby, would have knocked the 909 and 808 sounds out of the park, which is what I got it for but now thinking i made the wrong choice getting rid of my Behringer 909 and 808. The Behringer models sound leaps better than this thing. pretty sad. My Samples from mars samples blow doors on this unit sound wise. Going to test it using just samples instead of the janky ACB stuff but might just have to buy my Behringers back.

Well, if you feel strongly about that, just load them onto the TR-8s. Don’t forget to try the FM sounds though, they slap (especially FM “simple kick”)

2 Likes

Shift + write.

Compressor on master fx.
Drive on instruments.
Mix properly.

Dry 909 808 etc sound meh no matter which version it is. Its all about what you do with it.

6 Likes

I keep mine on a separate outlet from the main power conditioner for the setup now for this very reason – too many times I’ve accidentally turned everything off at the end of the day and lost my work.

1 Like

That’s what I am doing tonight, making kits. my real hope was to not have to diddle with samples since i mainly use XoX boxes so thought this would fix that, but samples it is.

There’s an auto save option in the system menu.

3 Likes

True, but the RD-9 for instance, with no processing, sounds really good. very punchy. I know its an analog unit and the TR is digital but still had high hopes for it without processing. Thanks for the info, i will drop a compressor on master and was playing with the drive last night on each instrument.

Only partially. Half the 909 sounds are samples.
Also note, a lot of this is subjective. The RD9 doesn’t sound good to me.

As for punch, I have found the TR8S to hit harder than any drum machine I’ve ever owned. Took some time and effort to get there, but any thing worth doing, takes time and effort.

Anyway lets not derail a thread. If you dont get on with the machine, flog it and get something else.

2 Likes
6 Likes

As pointed out by @MurkyFreddery there is an auto-save option and I’d like to add that you can set it to load up the last played pattern when you switch it on.

You may call this Elektron-Mode :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

5 Likes

the sounds are great. you have to learn to process them in the machine. they get big once you figure them out. i have the rd9 as well. the sounds are really just a starting point, just like the og machines were.

2 Likes

Saturator Instrument FX works wonders and makes this thing hit really hard and much better than a RD-9 ! Here is a jam where I used only the 909 ACB kit

14 Likes