Roland TR-6S

@Unifono can you get one then convince me to get one like a year later? :pray:

3 Likes

One thing I missed in the videos is the velocity editing. You can edit velocity per step, right?

You said it yourself: because Cycles is more hands-on. :blush: From my point of view it’s also a good thing that Cycles doesn’t have too many features: I won’t get lost. And because it’s mostly one-knob-per-function, I won’t get frustrated. More is more, but not necessarily always better.

I’m not saying that TR-6S isn’t interesting, on the contrary: I will probably buy it to support the Cycles, if I try it and like it. But the Cycles is such a well-designed instrument that a simple feature list comparison doesn’t do it justice. I don’t think it’s fair to say that the Models are useless now.

There are also things that Models do, but TR-6S doesn’t. For example, the TR-6S doesn’t have velocity sensitive pads and has a more limited sequencer (for example, no conditional trigs, micro-timing or sound locking).

1 Like

I didn’t appreciate just how small these were until I saw an MC-101 in person. It’s only half a inch wider and half an inch longer than a Volca. Thankfully they don’t have those super small Volca knobs that has caused me to return every Volca I’ve bought even though I’ve loved everything else about them.

uh, not sure about that.

3 Likes

Another question for the tr8s crowd: can you push a step off grid or nah?

Well… no. If it’s anything like the TR-8S, you basically have at most 2 parameters:

• Morph, which can be anything depending on the FM sound preset you choose
  • FM Coarse (not on all FM sound presets)

The FM sounds on the TR-8S/TR-6S are great additions, but they are not as wild as what is available on the model:cycles, even though it only has 4 parameters/knobs and would benefit from more machines.

1 Like

I‘ll try my best :+1:

2 Likes

You def can on the 8S (by holding a step and turning the accent knob), and I’d be amazed if you can’t on the 6S (even though doesn’t have an accent knob).

Nah. There’s a menu option for timing nudge but it’s like a manual sync correction, it affects every step in the pattern.

Thanks for the clarification. And yes, it’s mostly a smaller copy of the TR-8S, that much was established in e.g. Loopop’s video. Also not sure fi the sequencer is as flexible as on the Models? At least entering notes doesn’t seem to be as easy.

Did they add Microtiming? I don’t always like being stuck to a grid.

on the models it’s the bona fide elektron sequencer, all with plocks, cond trigs, etc. On the Roland TR-8S, only what is available as a physical control can be automated (that is pitch, decay, volume and CTRL) (can’t speak for the TR-6S). Oh, and no cond trigs.

The TR-8S is by far my prefered drum machine for jamming, but the Elektron sequencer is still unmatched.

Thanks for the answer, @finalform

Yeah, I’ve checked the param lists (available on Roland’s website with the manual, BTW) and velocity seems indeed editable.

Too bad for step nudge, I like being super sloppy with my drums. Can be sequenced from my OT tho, but I’m always annoyed when a feature I like a lot is missing from a box.

I know, I love my Model:Cycles. Thanks for the clarification about the TR sequencer!

Microtiming/step nudge would suit it really well to be honest.

Some of the the step-buttons have a secondary function to trigger variations.

i wish theyd made the 2nd function graphics a bit brighter… theyre hard to see on mc101 unless your in bright room.

and if i don’t use it a lot i forget the many key combinations… its not the most intuitive interface squeezed into a small device.

2 Likes

an SP with the same form factor and USB class compliant audio would be an instant buy.

Gotta say I still miss my old 404 SX to play long tracks and add FX over it.

It gets old quick though, as most scatter / note repeat / filter use / DJFX mangling has been played out lately with all instagram producers giving 1 minute headnodding beats the same treatment :wink:

For the TR6-S though, I am intrigued.

Kudos to Roland, identifying that the 101 form factor is more appealing for some.

Either on the move or without anymore studio space left, there is always a spot :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds great, but why does Roland have to keep going with their plasticky cheap toy looking designs? I just cannot take these seriously just on looks alone, even if sound and features are obviously the most important aspect…

1 Like

Thinking about a TR8-S with less direct control and more menu diving/button combos is a major turn off for me. Portability is cool, but at the loss of two tracks and multiple dedicated knobs and buttons it doesn’t weigh out. Spending more time than absolutely necessary in that UI is not appealing at all.

2 Likes