Roland SP404A

BTW, you could even use the Isolator effect on your 404 to approximate the RIAA curve. Not essential on a device like this, but nevertheless it is handy!

1 Like

Thanks man. I was aware that the SP-404SX and SP-404A were essentially identical. I went with a used SP-404A because I thought I would be more likely to find a used one in better condition compared to the older model.

I initially was interested in the SP-404SX for its performance effects. It seemed to me that using it as a sampler or sequencer would be cumbersome compared to other more modern options. But as I revisited it the sampling/resampling process began to look more appealing.

My first reactions using the SP-404A have exceeded my expectations. This is actually the most enjoyable experience Iā€™ve had using a sampler so far. For me the SP-404A sounds great and nicely balances its feature set with its ease of use and limitations. I donā€™t mind sampling without seeing a visual of the sampled audio as much as I thought I would. I can see how the Koala app (one of my favorite iOS apps) was greatly inspired by the 404. Perhaps the 404A will prove to be a gateway sampler that will help me dive deeper into other more option-rich samplers like the Digitakt and MPC Live. I wouldnā€™t mind trying a SP-555 one day as well. It would be cool if a SP-555A would ever see the light of day.

2 Likes

Nice when that happens, receiving a piece of kit you enjoy using. I thought about keeping mine but the random weirdness of it finally pushed me to return it since I was concerned it might be faulty.

Not sorry I returned it, but kinda still wish I had it :smile:

1 Like

I was wondering what the quality of the effects on the sp404a are like? Also can you achieve really creative samples with it? Is it worth the money or just obtain a ot? Whatā€™s this unit like.

Welcome to this forum.

Have you tried the search function to see if your question has already been asked & answered?

There are plenty of threads discussing the SP404 here, consider these to get you started:

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=Sp404

7 Likes

Objection. Hypothetical, your honorā€¦
:balance_scale:

1 Like

Iā€™m new to threads. So I will take your tip. Thanks.

Posts move to appropriate thread.

Before starting a new thread, search the forum for your topic first and use an existing thread. :thup:

2 Likes

Effects on SP404a are generally nice and sample quality is very good, similar if not better than OT MK1, I never made a comparison, though. Anyway the effects are very unique, they are not comparable to quality products like eventide, strymon, etc.
The big problem and deal breaker for me is the noise. These device have a lot of buzz/noise. You can minimize the problem lowering the volume, etc. But it is a design bug, so the noise is there and you have to fight with it if you want clean sounding samples. If you are into lo-fi it is not a big issue of course.
The price is high, in my opinion, considering the sp404 is an old device and R&D costs has been already covered many times.

1 Like