Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

• I’m really hoping the DJ FX looper and other effects finally sync to midi clock.
  • I hope they sort out all the effects volumes as so many are louder / quieter than others.
  • needs the file transfer app to get a thorough update.
  • also need proper pitch shift! None of this garbled pitching stuff that leads people back to older models.

For me the effects tempo sync is so important as an effects unit. It’ll crossover and expand its uses for all of us, not just for Lofi producers.

5 Likes

16 Sample Pads is a nice little upgrade.

SP-202 & SP-303 - 8 sample pads

Sp404+SX+A - 12 sample pads

SP-404 Mk2 - 16 sample pads!

SP404 Mk3 - 100 sample pads?!?!

3 Likes

For sure, if they allow tempo sync and layering multiple effects on incoming audio its a solid option for a multi effects unit. Could patch sends to the inputs easily.

from what I understand a resonator is basically a bunch of resonant filters that can each be tuned to certain/different pitches

This thing looks awesome though, I can definitely see some of the changes pissing off diehard users but overall, it seems like they’ve listened/paid attention to their customer base and improved on all the annoying aspects without taking away the essence of what makes the 404 what it is. Instabuy for me honestly…

1 Like

That’s probably right. I was just trying to describe what I hear when I use Ableton’s Resonator.

2 Likes

Well I’ll be damned. It’s a good time to be into samplers!

3 Likes

Saw someone on FB say “WHERE’S THE DBEAM :rage:” lmao

7 Likes

Nothing new in this but a good summary:

3 Likes

What color is it supposed to be? These colors at least have lineage in Roland’s design language.

I’ve never explore the SP world, but apparently, I’m into samplers. I could be interested in this when it comes to market.

2 Likes

wave form view plus velocity sensitive pads?

This is what I’ve been wanting for a long time… MPC One and Maschine+ are too busy being workstations, I just want a dope ass sampler and this looks like its gonna do what I want for pretty cheap. I’m pretty hyped for this.

9 Likes

I bet the fx cut off , killing fx tails / reverbs and delay.

@re5et, that’s probably what the bus fx are supposed to be for, maybe a way to set master efx for a delay or reverb

@andronikx , it’s for the dj mode feature, they expanded on features for people who dj beats on the sp404s, left and right deck

2 Likes

I think silver

I dig the colors they chose. It looks like an updated SP-404SX, but the orange and black go all the way back to the SP-202. The pads may look better a lighter color, but I am sure MPC Stuff or whoever will make some aftermarket pad options. I suppose the good thing about the black pads is that they won’t turn yellow over time. Also, looking at them next to each other, the Mk2 looks a little cleaner than the SX because they removed all the tiny FX names. Probably another benefit of having a real screen.

6 Likes

I missed when these went from being BOSS branded to Roland branded…

1 Like

Yeah, the change came after the 303. I guess “Dr. Sample” retired, whoever that was, haha.

5 Likes

I clearly have spent too much time in Elektron land LOL. I briefly owned the 202 when it first came out, but flipped it towards a KAOSS pad and/or an Electribe ES-1 if my memory serves me correctly…

1 Like

Oh nice, at that time the Kaoss Pad was probably a stellar upgrade. I also had a 202, probably around 20 years ago or so. It was my first sampler. I was in a band, and its first duty was to fire off samples during live shows. I still remember when I got it off eBay, paid only around $100 for it even then. I think the 303 was the new kid on the block at that time. Anyway, whoever owned it before me left it filled with industrial noise samples, gun shot fx, and like Atari Teenage Riot type sounds. I didn’t use those sounds with the band but I had fun messing with them while I learned how to use it. In the end I think I sold it to help fund a Roland D2, and moved on to other samplers.

2 Likes

Briefly felt the pang of gas there for a moment.

But it was only my wife releasing some wind.

Blackbox remains safe. Although now, somewhat soiled by recently mentioned wind.

6 Likes

The 1010 Blackbox is better because 1010 is a larger number than 404. On the other hand, the 404 is better because it is physically bigger than the Blackbox.

10 Likes