Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

@Sleepyhead Did it mention that?? Those were my main gripes. Especially pitch shifting!
Man oh man, serious gas going on

2 Likes

The price shifted on the page when I went to close it, listed at just over $600, updated the first post.

The features are listed in the thread, will add them to the first post when I get back to a computer

2 Likes

I wonder if the pads will be completely shit and what the midi implementation is like. Always wanted an SP but too many drawbacks. I may just swap out my MPC for simplicity if this ends up being decent. This and an OTmk2 would make a very attractive couple

4 Likes

Same haha… I also love that they did keep the general layout the same. It looks like they kept the workflow intact but just improved some things.

1 Like

Wow, I always wanted just a tad bit out of the 404. Did I see chromatic mode somewhere? That, and monitoring while recording would be huge.

2 Likes

Damn, I should have preordered when it was $500.

4 Likes

Also they added midi out and velocity pads?

1 Like

Praying for a 303 or 404OG style compressor. The cassette sim gives me hope.

3 Likes

Is resonator supposed to be like Rings?

Interested whether they’ve added Midi CC control functionality, that was a major omission from the original.

Super excited about mute groups, bus fx, midi out, cassette sim, pattern chaining, increased pad number.

Good thing they’re promoting customization, because the aesthetic is horrible like the Sequential Take Five. Who is telling these companies to make grey orange and red products? I blame the Digitakt success i guess, but that’s a beautiful box with proper design sensibilities despite the color scheme. This works well for October, but such a missed opportunity in my meaningless opinion.

3 Likes

I haven’t used Rings, but I have used Ableton’s Resonator. I imagine it will make sounds vibrate and also make boing and sproing type sounds. Just a guess.

2 Likes

I didn’t see that anywhere but recent Roland tech has it in some form ( mc101.707 etc)

3 Likes

Yeah, it looks you will just be able to record your jams onto your phone. It would be great if it also captured the Line Ins and it could double as an interface.

3 Likes

I don’t care for customisation that much but if I could just play Space Invaders (and only Space Invaders) on that little oled they will have my order asap. :space_invader:

2 Likes

Good point about the screen. It is a real screen, and not the alarm clock style display of the older units. This would make it much easier to implement new features and updates, and also some games.

Having to pinch myself - is this real? :open_mouth:

The SP-404 holds a special place in my heart but Roland have milked the design way too much, the 404A was an insult.

16 levels velocity and chromatic on pads, that’s incredible. Not sure how I feel about losing the memory card, having an SD card was excellent for hot-swapping sets in and out.

Edit: it still takes SD card. I am a butt.

7 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I personally would be fine with 16gb internal as long as swapping banks is fast. (Or set, projects, whatever let’s me get to my next collection)

1 Like

There has to be a catch. It’s probably bank switch latency.

I am hoping this is a quick leak, not like the Circuit Rhythm where it wasn’t available until about 6 months later. I remember a couple of years ago the MC-707 was an early fall release, so maybe we are in that timeframe again.

1 Like

Well that’s a relief!

2 Likes

If it’s real, I’m in SP Heaven. It’s everything I could dream about an SP.

7 Likes