Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

I don’t know if I would need any resources, guides and tutorials for an efficient resampling work flow. For me at least, I just can’t stop resampling and coming up with new ideas, just by playing around with it.

2 Likes

Same here, learning by doing. Always a joy so far :blush:

1 Like

SP heads have so many “hacks”. For instance, you can make mutes with the isolator or DJ beat repeat by setting it to a setting where it cuts all audio. Then you can resample yourself doing rhythmic drop outs in the track by toggling that on and off. That’s the kind of thing I’m thinking of. Outside of the box stuff.

5 Likes

Ah that brings back memories, I used to do that on the original models. There was also the panning hack on the original (which didn’t offer panning per sample) by using the pan effect and resampling with that enabled. Things like this make you realise how advanced the Mk2 is by comparison!

1 Like

Yes the sample edit on the ES-1 was extremely limited. I liked that it was really playful about it which made it easier to for me to forgive. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Couch will be my primary use case. For me the point is to distance music making from work as much as I can.

2 Likes

Is the default BPM always 90 or am I doing something wrong.

I think it is yes.

Are you aware of the project vs bank vs sample tempo settings?

1 Like

I definitely spent most of my time with the old SPs looking at a massive ‘90’ on the screen. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Effect preset save states are really @ the top of the list, now, for a mandatory update.

1 Like

I’m more interested in defaults than presets.

More precisely I don’t need preset files to load at will.

What I envision is a default state that I could set somehow. Even just saving the last state could do.

Or one step further, saving those with the project. But I’m not so sure :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess I mean I want the effects to be where I left them, when returning to a project.

2 Likes

That would be considerate yes! I’m with you.

damn now i dont have my sp on hand, but i do remember that i could change the values of the fx before applying it (on the og machine) probably they kept the same combo. damn its all in the muscles, not in my brain. but also i know the i would set all my standard fx beforehand as the sp remembers their values, but if you turn the knob it will jump to the new ones. hope that helps. give a look in the manual.

1 Like

I only have the PAN option available in the Record Settings menu. This is restricting me to AMP SIM and AUTO PITCH while effecting incoming audio signal from my IPhone and hollow body electric guitar. The video manual (I noticed). CTRL 2 will not allow me to change from routing PAN to MIX. Does anyone know how to change this? I really want to add effects to my incoming audio

You mean you want to change the recording setting from Mix to ExtIn?

When pressing Shift and the EXT SOURCE pad, I see BPM, ROUTING and LEVEL, corresponding to knobs 1, 2 and 3. When I press SHIFT, LEVEL become PAN.

Is it what you see? I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking.

1 Like

Sure, it’s possible to set the FX before playing any sample. I didn’t find a way to set FX without them affecting samples, other than configuring the playing samples to not go to a specific bus of course but that’s a little tedious.

I’m looking for Chroma caps for my SP, just because, I want colorful knobs with a good grip.

When I select the SP-404 on the Chroma caps website (it only knows the OG and SX) it suggests the fatty knobs. While I like the idea of the fatty knobs (wider, less tall), does anybody know if they fit really?

The original knobs are more of the thin type, I’m not sure if the fatty ones fit in the little hole wround the knobs.

I cannot get the ROUTING to come up. I’m only getting PAN for some reason.

Even when I hold SHIFT and turn CTRL knob 2 it didn’t switch over… only gives me R and L ranges.

Difficult to find information online about that. Seems also that the encoder can’t be changed right? I tried to pull it a little but didn’t dare and I believe, since it’s a click encoder, it can’t be pulled out…