Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Frankly, February could be optimistic. I preordered the day after it went live and am still waiting with no firm estimate.

It depends if they’re held up by the shipping logjam or component supply shortage. If shipping, we could see contention there ease slightly after the holidays. If components, however, delays are being quoted in months and sometimes — not kidding — years.

Roland has some bulk purchasing power that could move it to the head of the queue, to be sure. But it still looks like a very slow-moving queue going in to 2022.

2 Likes

It’s always been about creative solutions.

2 Likes

Yes! Though this one is actually quite simple, and an intended workflow: you may easily sample something with sample start matching the sample start to what you’re recording to. Makes sense!

Where are you located? I ordered on day two as well and received it from Thomann. Then I pre-ordered another one from Justmusic about a month ago (because they had it for 430 euros at the time) and it actually shipped the same day.

I guess not all countries/shops are served the same…

1 Like

Chicago. If you’ve ordered from Thomann, I’m guessing we’re not close :wink:

Meaning… you have a spare unit? :slight_smile:

Berlin Germany… :wink:

Wish you to get yours quick. I’m having a blast! Here the estimates were not accurate and it arrived way before the shops were saying, hopefully it goes the same way for you!

2 Likes

I’ve already let it to @hausland, which by a number of chances happened to live in the same city as I do and be a person with whom I could relate on many levels :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha, worth a shot! I’ll join the queue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Guys I sent mine back to Thomann, so be on the lookout for a B-stock unit.

1 Like

:eyes: :eyes:

Can anyone recommend an SD card for the SP? At the moment I have a sandisk 16GB 15MB/s card. Are there better options for this machine?

SP can only use SD cards up to 32GB, so there are not that many options.

I bought this: SANDISK 121519, SDHC, 32 GB, 120 MB/s and it works great (I used it to update the OS only)

1 Like

I’m just sayin, when Roland puts out the limited edition sp-404mk2 -sp-303 edition with white pads and everything else lookin like a 303 there is going to be mayhem in the streets!!!

just watch!

I will not be able to allow my cousins in the house, I will have to go to 7/11 in an armored truck, and the beat invitationals will be an invitation to Mooooooortallllllllllll Coooooombaaaaaaaat

I’m just sayin

3 Likes

Anyone connect a mic to their 404mk2 yet? Are you using a TS or TRS 1/4” cable? Does it matter?

2 Likes

Yes and it’s a lot of fun. Which one is the mono? TS? I tried first with the balanced (two rings) version and it doesn’t work. I then went to buy a microphone cable with a mono jack at one end (one ring) and it works beautifully.

1 Like

OK, good to know. I ordered an XLR to TS (mono) cable to use with my SM58. To date I have only used XLR-XLR.

I don’t have the SP yet, but I tried the XLR to TS into my Portastudio and didn’t get any signal (I guess the impedance is not right for that machine). I was getting worried I might have screwed up and got the wrong cable, but sounds like it might work OK. Fingers crossed.

Wish MPC Live 2 had a built in mic preamp, as it is you need an external one, or to have lots of noise on your mic from maxing out the internal gain.

1 Like

I’m not knowledgeable either, no idea if any XLR to TS cable works, luckily I could go to a local shop on Saturday and ask for the right cable in the microphone department. Also always ever used XLR t XLR for microphones. Good luck!

1 Like