Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

As of right now, Sam-ash has some in stock

2 Likes

what the heck,

I’ll have mine next week, and I’m planning to do exactly that. Sample drum sequence, live synth and guitar, and create an arrangement with the pattern sequencer.

Quick tip: if you order something from Brooklyn avoid USPS at all costs. For whatever reason, USPS out of the area is just bad. See, for example, this info: FAQs – Control

1 Like

Thanks! Sam Ash makes the third place I’ve ordered this from now. Hope they don’t all ship at once before I can cancel the others :sweat:

Here’s a track I did for the hip hop beat battle. Only uses the samples provided (which were actually highly produced 90s R&B tracks: Sade, etc) and drums. Almost entirely done in the SP, with small chops, pitching, messing with speeds, loads of resampling and using the effects to warp the sound dramatically. I used both resampling and the pattern editor to create individual parts/snippets and then played it all in live to resample to a single track and finally recorded it to cassette (Portastudio 414MKII)

Anyway it’s very much on the lofi tip, so won’t be for everyone, but I sort of got this Shaw Brothers kung fu vibe from one of the chops early on, so I decided to go for that and also wanted to try my hand at the old SP beat tape style (although I still have a long way to go).

If anyone is interested, the original samples are here so you can see how removed you can get samples from the original source. To be honest the original samples are very much out of my comfort zone for beat making, so this was a really challenging project for me, especially since I’m still learning the SP. Lots of fun though and I learned loads.

8 Likes

Currently appears to be 3 in stock available from a third party seller on Amazon… I kind of suspect this isn’t real, but I’m taking the chance since Amazon’s policies generally deal with any monkey business

Edit: removed link a day later after it turned out they cancelled my order - probably never had it in stock

3 Likes

Is that the one from ProAudioStar? I bought a synth from them last year and had no problems. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

Yep. That’s great to hear, thank you!

…and now it’s out of stock again… I hope some fellow ‘nauts got them

2 Likes

That’s a bummer! The audio can’t be shared via USB-C to another unit. It works with the Lines In/Out but was hoping to move audio between units in the digital domain.

mk2 is a USB audio “device”, so they cannot be connected to each other…

1 Like

Is anyone else making non-hip-hop on their mk2? My interest is in techno/breaks in particular. All of the mk2 videos on youtube are “beats”-type stuff which doesn’t interest me. Based on my initial experiments it seems like it can do so much more than that!

2 Likes

Also interested in this! While it would be cool to jam out some typical beats once I get my 404, I more so work with faster breaks for jungle and core related genres. Seems that the mk2 has a bit of a tighter workflow to it than the previous iteration. I’m really looking forward to pairing it with my m8.

I did find this video from an initial search: https://youtu.be/p1gSgZrGb78

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I know this has been mentioned in someone’s post in this thread, but I couldn’t find it. What is the balanced/unbalanced situation for the line in/outs? I believe I read balanced outs, unbalanced ins. Is that correct?

loads of people used them sps in all kinds of applications. (sample mangler, sequencer, fx box, tracker/recorder )
dont go asking for inspiration from yt videos, its all one piano loop, drums from a lofi sample pack and a plant…
just start making a beat. use the fx to resample, twist them knobs as you record. resample again and again.
the chorus / flanger / phaser / reverb fx on the sps are a great start to put some sauce on a sample. then there is other one trick pony fx too.

if you start making a beat and dont know how you do something, or you try to find a workaround there is peoples in here that have some xp and could help. just ask a specific question and answers will you find

5 Likes

Big tune that! Thanks for sharing.

I’m messing around with multiple tempos and genres on mine, I guess with a hip-hop sampling background/aesthetic but for me it’s capable of lots of things. Any sample based stuff… like lots of jungle and d&b from back in the day. I don’t have anything I’m prepared to share other than typical beats though :joy:

2 Likes

Balanced Roland SP-404 Mk2 - #39 by HoldMyBeer

2 Likes

Ha, yes, that’s true… I’ll say instead that what I’m interested in is any non-“beats” stuff from my fellow Elektronauts. And I’ll try your tips as well!

Good lookin out, @looms. Thanks.

1 Like

Amazon.com has these with March shipping date.