Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 2)

Probably a super stupid question but would the voice memo app work?

@doparoma

I just replicated this like you said. Import, hit resample, wait appeared. Instantly crashed and restarted once I hit a pad.

Why the hell is not possible to INCREASE USB audio gain?

1 Like

is your koala up to date? they had an update yday for the sp integration

works just about right for me both on phone and ipad

1 Like

thanks for checking out!

letā€™s forget about new features for a moment but this should not happen while sampling/resampling what is literally core of the sp, so annoying

edit: even perfomed factory reset because iā€™ve seen some users claiming it fixed the crashes, not for me though

3 Likes

Agreed, itā€™s not like itā€™s an uncommon situation either!

Do you know how to open a ticket? Iā€™d like to remind them of this issue!

1 Like

maybe through this form here?
https://support.roland.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=25238

2 Likes

USB Hub has solved the issue - usb out from the SP had to go into the hub before iPad it seems. Iā€™m fairly new (or newly returned) to iPad land

2 Likes

Can you try a different cable? USB C cables have been known to cause various issues.

2 Likes

If it only happens after loading a sample from SD card, a temporary workaround might be to load the samples you need, do a reboot and work on. Until a bugfix comes along.

Talking about Bugs Fix (well, almost):

1 Like

About 25% of the way through updating the Quick Referenceā€¦ itā€™d go faster, but Iā€™m adding some additional touches to make it flow nicer and hopefully easier to read while adding in the new 4.04 updatesā€¦ definitely looks like Iā€™ll have room for everything that makes sense to add.

13 Likes

Noā€¦ I was wrong. I saw the meter go up and assumed it was working, but in actual fact it hadnā€™t actually connected to ā€˜koala modeā€™ and was just picking it up through the mic.

Thanks for all suggestions. Iā€™ve tried 3 different USB cables so it isnā€™t the cable either.

I found this - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254784621 which suggests it might just be an iPad problem

1 Like

Itā€™s actually kinda insane how many new features were added that Roland put the new MFX in the ā€œsecondary additionsā€ section of their update video and it isnā€™t even the first on Rolandā€™s secondary list lol.

(DJFX Delay)

1 Like

I didnā€™t even notice this part!! Will need to check this out!

1 Like

If I use DT as the soundcard on the iPad, there is no issue with incoming audio over USBā€¦ Itā€™s either a bug with the new Koala Mode, or the SP is just terrible at sending audio out over USB.

Well this is entertaining for a Friday night;

16 Likes

Itā€™s a combination of DJFX Looper and the Delay on the front panel. Basically kinda allows you to do the stuttery DJFx stuff but it fades out like a delay. Itā€™s pretty tight.

2 Likes

Youā€™re expressing my thoughts on the mk II exactly.

The more I reflect on it, the more certain I am that thereā€™s a fundamental design issue with the mk II: the software and hardware have simply drifted too far apart from each other. I think that was true on day one and itā€™s especially true now.

The software has managed to honor the 404 legacy while growing, maturing, and adapting to the present.

The hardware also honors its past but is very much bogged down by that past. And when I say hardware, Iā€™m really only talking about the physical interface and button layout. It just canā€™t support the ever-growing set of features that are being developed on the software while continuing to look and feel like a 404. At least, it canā€™t be done without massive compromises that affect usability.

Since the physical layout canā€™t be changed as easily as the software, and an updated faceplate doesnā€™t truly solve the issue, thereā€™s really only one way out. I think Roland should design a new device that has a brand new physical layout that supports everything the 404 software is capable of. The software could truly live up to its potential, but it would be so far removed physically from its 404 origins that you maybe wouldnā€™t be able to call it a 404 at that point. Idk, maybe it could be called the 404 pro or something.

Anyways, I donā€™t want to be too much of a curmudgeon or rain on anyoneā€™s parade. Iā€™m very much rooting for the team at Roland because theyā€™ve done absolutely incredible things with this platform and theyā€™ve created a box that people have found a lot of joy in.

9 Likes

How about SP-505 MKII?

6 Likes

Super powers!

1 Like