Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

I get a strange added saturation when resampling with vinyl sim on. When recording the resampling it sounds fine. But when I play back what I have resampled the kick sounds way more saturated than it did while I resampled.

Cā€™est parce que tā€™es un filou :yum:

1 Like

Bug fix : ā€˜There is no count at the start of resamplingā€™

YES, finally!

4 Likes

Is that what I think it is? Count-in when resampling??

1 Like

Im suddenly feeling ā€˜sickā€™ on my way to work. Might need to turn around and heal myself at home with my SP if this is the case!

6 Likes

Havenā€™t tried yet. Thatā€™s one Iā€™m missing badly to record something as a new sample over a pattern. Weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

Somebody already tried the count-in for resampling? Iā€™m not at home for a while, but iā€™m very curious :slight_smile:

Ca doit ĆŖtre Ƨa, oui!

Reported to Takeo

Confirmed.

5 Likes

Thanks! This is a major improvement for me. Well done, Roland!

2 Likes

Great SP-404MKII jams from Nonjuror.
Heā€™s got more great Beat tapes on his channel.

5 Likes

Hereā€™s something I came across last night thatā€™s bugging me. Iā€™ve tried searhing without any luck, but apologies if itā€™s already been covered.

When Iā€™m step sequencing a sample thatā€™s set to gate and has a release value - even of 1 - placing two steps next to each other seems to turn gate mode off until the sequencer is stopped. This appears to be triggered by samples overlapping - you can also trigger it in the hold sequencer mode by placing a 3-step trigger and another trigger four steps later. But placing consecutive steps is the easiest way to demonstrate it.

Once it happens, you have to stop the sequence running to restore the gate behaviour. If you then play the pattern again, itā€™ll behave as expected until it hits the consecutive triggers, and then the gate will be removed again.

As far as I can tell the 404 is playing the gated sample for the length of a full step, then the release value is making it overlap with the trigger on the next step, and this is causing the problem for whatever reason. It doesnā€™t happen when playing live, but you cn trigger it by adding hits to a live-recorded patten in step mode. It never happens when release is set to zero, presumably becasue the hits never overlap.

To replicate: load a sample, set it to gate, have a hold of 100 and a release of 1, and then open the step sequencer and put triggers on pads 1, 5, 8 and 9. The sample should be gated on 1 and 5, and then after step 8 it will lose the gate and play from start to end on every trigger until you stop the sequence.

New bug? Known bug? User ignorance? Itā€™s vexing, because it means you canā€™t for example use a gated hat sample to program open and closed hats. This is on the latest firmware - hadnā€™t noticed it before, but maybe Iā€™d just been lucky in avoiding it.

1 Like

In the latest release, it seems they worked on a bug similar to the one you are experiencing, perhaps they broke something else in the sequencer?

[ Ver.3.01 ] APR 2023
Bug Fixes
The following bugs have been fixed.

When the GATE function is "ON" and RELEASE is set to "1" or higher, the following symptoms occur.
    If you set the start point to the second half of the sample, the sound will continue until the end even after you take your finger off the pad.
    Noise occurs at certain samples.
There is no count at the start of resampling.
* Includes pattern resampling.
Changed MIDI Ch of "BANK F - PAD 1" to "2" when set to "MIDI Mode: B".
Other minor bugs.

Yes, thanks - I did spot that,and thought it might be connected. There was some other earlier error with gate and envelope too, I think, so maybe itā€™s causing them ongoing issues. Iā€™d be interested to see if anyone else can replicate the problem, just so I know itā€™s not me. Itā€™d also be interesting to see if happens in earlier firmwares, if anyoneā€™s not yet upgraded and is willing. Iā€™ll piece it al together into a bug report if it seems consistent.

Yo. The bug fix is about something else: in 3.0.0, gate + short release on low-frequency-rich samples caused a strange ringing when the release was engaged (like SRR on the tail of the sample). Playing bassline was simply impossibleā€¦

Iā€™m still on 3.0 vanilla, but I encountered something a bit similar to your case. Gated sample, set in mono in the chromatic window. In step seq, steps 1 / 2 / 3 trigging the sample, hold step value of 1ā€¦ All three steps played as a legato tie, whaaaaat.

2 Likes

Was it a legato tie, or was the sample just ignoring the gate setting? If you add another trigger to pad 9, does that also play all the way through? It sounds like the same issue as Iā€™m having here. In my case itā€™s not a tie - each consecutive step does trigger from the start.

Something else makes me think the overlap is the key is that you can have gated sequential triggers if you use the substep mode to just play the first 1/3 or 1/4 note. It only seems to mess up if you have a trigger than plays right up to the next trigger, with a decay value set.

Thanks for the feedback - nice to know Iā€™m not just hallucinating, at least about this.

1 Like

I agree

13 Likes

Thatā€™s automatic end snap, basically, which would definitely be nice. You could just have it so you hold down Start/End when activating End Snap and then press a pad to set the number of bars. I get the point of the current End Snap workflow - you can play for an arbitrary number of bars and cut it when you want to - but I wouldnā€™t say no to a quantised option.

What Iā€™d really like to see on the SP is the ability/option to measure everything in bars and beats. Itā€™s the logical next step when youā€™ve enabled pattern resampling. I suppose chop mode is a workaround, but I think the native language of the SP should be beats, not samples or seconds.

8 Likes

I agree. I sold mine because it couldnā€™t easily record quantised loops.

3 Likes