Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Ah cool, I didn’t know what a Birdcord was. Learned something new. Haha. I’m new to the world of both USB C and external battery packs.

2 Likes

Just remembered that I own the Birdcord 5.7V DC cable that @hausland mentioned (used it for my MC-707). Attached it to my SP404 MKII with a powerbank and it works without any problem.

4 Likes

@enryo I see that you sell your SP404 MKII, why?

1 Like

I’m happy that this thread is now going from theoretical SP stuff and hype to problem solving.

I would add that people shouldn’t give up on the SP too quickly, even if it seemingly doesn’t do something at first glance. Learning a new machine and dialing in a personal workflow is an involved process. That’s the main reason I don’t switch samplers very often. It’s a PITA to figure everything out. I forgot how much of a PITA, lol. Learning the MPC1K sucked. Learning the Digitakt sucked. Learning Logic sucked. :joy:

These are just popping up in the wild, and even the old SP heads on the SP Forums are having to relearn everything it seems, but in a few months I expect there to be a lot of amazing music coming out.

11 Likes

I’ve been waiting for an SP like this for years. But it isn’t clicking. I used to produce loads of tracks in Logic. I’ve tried loads of hardware and software. I haven’t made anything worth listening to for years. If I can’t make the music on all of the hardware I’ve tried, then I think maybe I’ve just lost the music bug. Time to call it a day. I guess can still make stuff on my iPad/Logic if I want. Might try a BlackBox as one final try. Otherwise I guess it’s just something I’ve grown out of, with kids and life taking over instead.

8 Likes

finishing songs is overrated, like the world needs more songs lol

10 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

@enryo No need to give up music. Just do what you feel. The YouTube algorithm just served this up. Good reminder to just make music, and not worry about other people.

5 Likes

Would anyone object if I made an SP404 mk2 production tips/tricks/problem solving thread? This one is massive and mostly filled with people waiting for it to drop. It was suggested a while back, and might be good to have that all in one place.

No need for mods to move anything if people still post that stuff in this one unless you really want to. I definitely don’t want to create work for anyone.

14 Likes

Done

5 Likes

Why show a HUGE bpm number as default, can we get the actual sample filename or something.

1 Like

Thanks, I already did that but I found it hard to mix nicely the volumes between the sample playback from SP and the incoming audio from iPad. Finnicky.

My guess is that stems from the legacy use of DJs wanting to trigger something in time with a record. I suppose it also tells you if one loop is likely to match with another one. But, yeah I don’t like it. Hit remain and something else and it will stay on another screen, for instance the wave form or effects page.

(Added to the tip thread, as the quick disappearing effects page also bothered me)

3 Likes

Are the pads you’re trying to play running through those effects?

Excellent point.

OK, I just got it again. It happens when using the external in with the guitar amp sim, and then switching over to add bus effects. Not sure if its only certain effects combinations or what, but just now I was using my bass with the JC amp sim and hit the Bus Effects, and tried to switch Bus Effect 1 to a delay by hitting the delay button. I was also using the remain function. I’m not sure what exact combination of button pushes causes it, but it seizes up the unit and you have to pull out the batteries. In all cases, one pad on the unit is red.

Even if you turn the power button off, the unit stays on and there is no sound.

Should we add these kind of bugs to the tip thread as well to keep them separate from this thread in case someone from Roland finds this little corner of the internet? (I went ahead and linked to this in the other thread so we can keep track)

ironically I always think of it as insider music cause it’s music mainly made for yourself

3 Likes

Good point. Ultimately that probably separates what makes art great. When you are making stuff to fit other people or a mold instead of yourself, it loses something. Like losing fidelity with copies of copies.

1 Like

I’ve had the mk2 about a month and it’s worth all the hype. Just have to invest time into formulating a workflow that suits you.
I see a lot of complaints about the pattern sequencer but it can be useful. I’ve been using the resample method and once I find a groove that I like I chop it and then sequence with pattern mode.
You can get some nice variations with the patterns. It’s also easier to drop in a loop and sync it. And when that’s all said and done you can resample he entire pattern.
This machine forces you to be creative and make the most of its limitations.
I have an OT, DT and an MPC Live and if I had to keep one I would stick with the SP

Just my 2 cents …

11 Likes

Your workflow sounds a lot like what I’ve been envisioning myself. A combination of resample and pattern mode. Thanks for the info!

1 Like