Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

Did anyone ever figure out the bug where you can’t record a note in the last 16th note (or so) at the end of a pattern? I’m having this even when I play the note a little early, so I’m pretty sure it’s not just quantization pushing it to beat 1.

Edit: I’m having this issue with the last 8th note actually, not just 16th.

2 Likes

It seems a confirmed bug, scroll the comments in this video:

Kid Latura

There actually is some type of song mode where you don’t always have to press the pad you want play next. Press “Pattern Select” and than hold the “Hold”-Button. There you can select a pad which acts as a storage for pattern chains. And regarding the last-kick-not-being-recorded: i was in contact with the Roland Support and they confirmed to me that it is a bug and they are working on it. Anyways great summary of the issues i am also having with this machine. I hope Roland listens, cause this device has got a lot of potential to be a great one.

2 Likes

Can you help me reach out to that contact? I tried Roland support… no reply. But I have an issue w/ the Mk 2 workflow that really hurts colorblind people. I would like acknowledgment from them that they’re hearing this issue.

It is true that on some of the YNQ projects, like A Tribute to Brother Weldon, he did play all the stuff, and made up fake players that were all pseudonyms (Monk Hughes, Joe McDuphrey, etc). But you’re right that on others he worked with studio musicians. Sound Directions is also one he worked with other people, like the awesome guitarist Dan Ubick.

3 Likes

I know from your earlier post about chopping your issues go beyond the effects buses, but you can change the colours for these so they’re not orange and green:

1 Like

Alas, you can’t. When you chop the sample, then choose “assign to pads”, there is a very specific (orange / green = full / empty) color scheme that isn’t affected by any options for pad color in the system menu.

Thanks for the effort, though, but I’m afraid this will require an OS update to change.

1 Like

I’m colorblind as well, so I hope you have some luck. Usually it only affects me with colors at the very edge of the spectrum…dark blue and black, white and very light pink, etc.

1 Like

Yeah hopefully they can add it as an option in the settings. If they’ve done it for the fx buses it should be possible!

2 Likes

And If both ”record” and “resample” can use the blinking / non-blinking variant, I’d hope the chop assignment could, too. Almost seems like an oversight. Incongruous.

Thanks. Yeah it sucks. Do “green” traffic lights look white to you?

1 Like

I misread you. Just woke up! Yes I did change the FX bus colors for that reason, in the very first hours after having received the MK2. Thanks!

Anyone else bought from Anderton’s here? Just got some really bum news that my preorder (bought launch day) is now pushed back to January when it said mid-December when I placed the order, :imp:

No, those are OK for me, thankfully. My former coworker was also colorblind and I remember him telling me a story about asking his wife where his “black” backpack is and she said “you don’t have a black backpack” and he said he just went “Ah, crap”. :rofl:

Really dark browns and blues also look black to me sometimes.

He used to also joke that other people just weren’t as highly evolved as us. :alien::wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying! Was hard to find info

1 Like

Sorry I can’t help here.
I contacted Roland once about an issue on the SP404A, it was noisy when recording and sometimes also when playing. It is a common issue for that device, you can find it everywhere on the Net and YT.
The guy from the support insisted that it was an issue with my other gears.
Then I decided not to buy any Roland device anymore, except for an old TR8 and now the 404MKII. :slight_smile:

I message you in a minute

Didn’t you just say you were in touch w/ them RE: the MK2 “last note” bug?

Nope, I made a copy/paste of one of the video comments

If I had to recommend one Madlib album it would be Shades of Blue: Madlib Invades Blue Note.

Genius.

4 Likes

Pretty sure the last album he did with Freddie Gibbs was a lot of ipad.