Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 1)

had a play with new update for only couple hours so far but experienced some bugs several times including reboot while doing basic stuff like pressing rec button in order to sample, same with resample etc.

another weird thing happened when i was zoning in looper last night i could see saved loops only while i had the looper menu on, when i exit out of it i had blank pads, they apparently all showed up normally after i turned sp off and on again lol

noticed also slower behaviour processing things like when you end up recording here’s slight delay before led on the pad light up

besides that i had very fun time, stacking samples comes in handy, koala integration is mad exciting, looper is super fun and sound gen is also nice i just can’t get the envelopes working haha

2 Likes

Try with a sine wave, the effect of the envelopes is more evident. It’s not completely clear what the differences are, but for sure the a and A1 curves have a very short/clicky attack

1 Like

It appears that you can have FX affect the main loop after all, just need to look into the button combo to affect the buses.

Roland cloud manager-It is not for your benefit.
It is possible to load apps without such programs-almost all other companies do load programs by having a simple, one-use installer download program.
Unless you disable it in start-up-it will load when your computer bootups and will be running in the background-doing whatever it does-probably spyware.

Well… day 2 of 4.04 firmware… got a good amount of notes for things to put into the guide and quick reference… time to have at it… :smiley:

26 Likes

I do not envy the work you need to put in to update your guides, but am very appreciative of your toil! You provide absolutely brilliant resources, far better than any manufacturer on the market, and your pocket zine guide is fantastic.

11 Likes

Can you uninstall cloud manager once you installed the roland app?

2 Likes

I recall users here have previously uninstalled cloud manager without issues.

1 Like

Thanks, going to have a stab at that once I’m back home.

Yes!!!

You can get some interesting results with effects.

Dumb question, but is subsonic an effect added in the update? I can’t find any reference to it in the release notes.

1 Like

I think OP is referring to the Sound Generator, which gets its inspiration from subsonic, an mfx on earlier gen SPs :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s exactly how I took and verified no Subsonic EFX in the list.

I loved Subsonic on the SX, I used to use it in a similar way to Drum Buss in Ableton Live for adding thick subs to kick drums and basses. So satisfying.

2 Likes

I still miss it, I use it all the time on the 606 …

2 Likes

I’d make wicked baselines just using my ukulele with Subsonic!

1 Like

The “drag and drop” feature is not working for me (Mac, M2) … any tips? I can’t seem to get a file onto my computer from the SP through the app anymore

ETA: duh, read the manual. got it now

Started with sp 808ex. How far have we come! Really happy with this update. The integration with koala and being able to resample back and forth it reminds me of times with akai s3200 and ‘lofi’ resample method where at some point it promts you with “enough already”…

Koala and sp404 alone are a killer intuitive combo. Hate the koala piano roll though (renoise user here)

The rest of the features are such an update that this unit should get a bump in price.

I’m really happy to see that Roland listened to feature requests from the sp users :pray:

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at Roland SP-404 Mk2 (Part 2).