Roland SE-02

I found a used/mint K-25M for $73; the thought of spending $49 for something similar, but without the keys just didn’t seem right

I like how the TR-09 came with the dock. It’s a nice dock though; adds barely anything to the unit’s footprint, and is made with metal.

Same with the TB-03 which is the only Boutique I have so far. I thought (assumed) that’s how they all came, but never really paid much attention until the SE-02. I guess it simply has to do with being able to offer the synth modules with or without keyboard options.

I think they had to do all they could to keep this thing at the price point they managed to get it at.

1 Like

I’ll use it as a module w/ AK, myself. Truly is the 99% dream mono CV module for AK. The only thing they could have done to get it to 100% is a VCA CV input to use AK CV envelopes. But I am not complaining.

Heard through the grapevine that the step keys can be used to to trigger notes, as well. Which is good, because I’d probably have gone for the keyboard for quick stand-alone patching/auditioning. If the step keys work in this way, I can save money and just get the stand. Either way, gotta have that tilt!

2 Likes

When do people expect the SE02 to be released? August?

Guitar Center initially said 8/30, but it was recently updated to 8/10.

zZounds says 8/08, natch.

Sounds like about 3 to 4 weeks out!

The official Roland Aira Instagram account said this month (see my post above from a week ago), but who knows when most dealers will actually get it and ship for the first orders. I imagine it’s going to be quite popular and hard to get for a couple of months without having pre-ordered. I’m setting my expectation for early August on mine.

2 Likes

Shipping 7/28 in Japan.
Can’t afford it now myself but that’s what I’m seeing on amazon

I’m contemplating on swapping my moog lp for this one too. Could use the extra space, and I find the lp a lil stiff sounding tbh

I entertained the notion of swapping my Sub37 for this, but @Open_Mike wouldn’t have any of it. Though the extra space, flexible sequencer, delay effect and third oscillator are arguments worth considering. For others. Not for me. I’m still on probation.

6 Likes

Your wife and I both agreed on this… We’re just looking out for you… :smile_cat:

3 Likes

You’re quite the team😊honestly, the SE-02 sounds amazing. It also sounds exactly like I’m expecting it to. I’ve yet to hear a single demo that says something about its character beyond premium analogue.

The Sub, though, is very specific. I’ve really grown fond of it.

2 Likes

You might be allowed to have both, If your good, we’ll see… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That, I can say, won’t happen. Town’s not big enough for both of them😎

Actually, I think I’ll end up with just the Sub37 and the Deluge, in the end, and just lose the rest.

1 Like

I reckon the devil would tell you to:

A. Move to a larger town

and

B. Trade the Sub37 in for the new Subsequent37CV, so that you could supplement the SE-02’s sequencer with additional fun/weird from the Subs37CV seq.

1 Like

Also won’t happen. Trade the black matte plate with fire yellow lights for silver and ice blue? You lost me at hello :blush:

Nah. One mono will do for me. And it’ll be the Sub37 for a long while, I reckon.

3 Likes

Was starting to jones, so went in search of new uploads…