Roland SE-02

fyi its now also available in black :diddly:

1 Like

I have bought a black One 5 date agoā€¦ itā€™s the best mini keyboard I have triedā€¦ (And I have tried many)

I wonder if my wife would ever forgive me if I traded my Sub37 for this. She says itā€™s the coolest synth Iā€™ve ever had. I have no will of my own. Lifeā€™s just easier that way.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the black Keystep too - really good keyboard and its a free MIDI to CV converter too.

Why would you do that? Isnā€™t the Sub 37 superior in every aspect?

Iā€™ve been obsessed with the Sub 37 and I was saving for it, but the se-02 announcement plus a few other stuff that I had to buy crossed the 37 out of my list, for now at least. I think the se-02 is a nice and cheap alternative, but it canā€™t be compared with the Sub 37, imho.

2 Likes

Mmmmm, not portability at least :smile:
Still, Iā€™d love to be able to compare these two beasts !

Havenā€™t owned a Sub37, but quite sure it doesnā€™t have xmod or FM like the se-02, although as far I know it does have a quite powerful modulation matrix.
Imo the se-02 should provide a much wider sound palette than the sub 37 due to the power of xmod, but this is total speculation as I still havenā€™t heard a proper demo of xmod yet.
I personally would buy a se-02 over a sub 37 as I wouldnā€™t buy a synth without fm (I have an fm fetish and need help)
Whether it sounds better doing same bread and butter sounds, well thatā€™s debatable

1 Like

Iā€™m super into the idea of the optional K-25M keyboard now. Itā€™s kind of neat that you could abuse the hell out of it if you like, and just replace it with a brand new one at any point. I cringe when remembering how horribly crappy the keys were on the Pro-One I owned many moons ago.

1 Like

If I were you, Iā€™d keep the 37. Itā€™s a beast compared to my lil phatty SEā€¦ In a way I consider it to be the little phatty mk II, it perfects everything the lil phatty lacks. Bob would have been very proud had he lived long enough to witness its release to the world.

2 Likes

Those ā€œ2 modulation busses w/ assignable source and destinationsā€ can do the Xmod thing for sure, as both OSCs are programmable sources, and filter, pwm, and OSC freq are all programmable destinations. but beyond that, there are many, many more sources and destinationsā€¦
Sub 37 has Xmod on steroids.

PROGRAMMABLE SOURCES: Amp Env, Constant ON, Sine LFO, Noise LFO, Osc 1 Pitch, Osc 2 Pitch, Seq Note, Seq Vel, and Seq Mod.

DESTINATIONS: Osc 1 Pitch, Osc 2, Osc 1 & 2 Pitch, Filter, LFO Rate, VCA Level, Osc 1 Wave, Osc 2 Wave, Osc 1 & 2 Wave, Noise Level, EG Time/PGM

PROGRAMMABLE DESTINATIONS: Filter Resonance, Filter Drive, Filter Slope, Filter Env Amount, Filter Keyboard Amount, Osc 1 Level, Sub Osc Level, Osc 2 Level, External In/Feedback Level, Osc 1 On, Sub Osc On, Osc 2 On, Noise On, External In/Feedback On, Arp Rate, Arp Clock Division, Arp Range, Arp Back/Forth, Arp Ends, Arp Invert, Arp Gate Length, Arp Run, Glide Time, Glide OSC Choice, Glide Type, Glide Gate, Glide Legato, Glide On, LFO 1 Clock Division, LFO 1 Range, LFO 1 Sync, LFO 1 Keyboard Reset, LFO 1 Keyboard Track, Mod 1 Pitch Amount, Mod 1 Filter Amount, Mod 1 Programmable Amount, Mod 1 Programmable Destination, LFO 2 Clock Division, LFO 2 Range, LFO 2 Sync, LFO 2 Keyboard Reset, LFO 2 Keyboard Track, Mod 2 Pitch Amount, Mod 2 Filter Amount, Mod 2 Programmable Amount, Mod 2 Programmable Destination, Osc 1 Oct, Osc 2 Sync, Osc 2 Keyboard Reset, Osc 2 Oct, Osc 2 Keyboard Control, Osc 2 DUO Mode, Osc 2 Freq, Osc 2 Beat Freq, Filter Env Attack, Filter Env Decay, Filter Env Sus, Filter Env Release, Filter Env Delay, Filter Env Hold, Filter Env Vel Amount, Filter Keyboard Track, Filter Env Multitriggering, Filter Env Reset, Filter Env Sync, Filter Env Loop, Filter Env Latch, Amp Env Attack, Amp Env Decay, Amp Env Sus, Amp Env Release, Amp Env Delay, Amp Env Hold, Amp Env Vel Amount, Amp Keyboard Track, Amp Env Multitriggering, Amp Env Reset, Amp Env Sync, Amp Env Loop, Amp Env Latch, Output Volume, Bend Up, and Bend Down.

The advantage SE-02 has is being able to do 3 different Xmodulations (independent of the LFO) at the same time. But theyā€™re fixed assignments.

4 Likes

Sure it can. The SE-02 has three oscillators, the Subā€™s got two and a sub. The sequencer Iā€™m sure is superior in the SE-02, and it has a nice sounding delay, while the Sub is dry. It has a lot going for it that takes it into other sonic territories than the Sub and the SE-02 is portable, which in my particular case is a very strong argument. Iā€™d imagine that the SE-02 sits easier in a mix and moves more comfortable over more territory, whereas the Sub is always like ā€œWell, you did turn me on, didnā€™t you?ā€ and you gotta wrestle it down to make it work in at least my fragile, delicate little pieces of music.

But - the Sub37 sounds absolutely amazing for what it does. And working with it, touching it and playing it, is an experience Iā€™ll best leave undescribed or Iā€™ll get arrested for something the law hasnā€™t yet found a word for, but most certainly will in an attempt to jail me in, and I wouldnā€™t be sorry one bit if they did and Iā€™d cry before a jury ā€œIā€™d do it again if I had the chance!ā€ And the keyboard player in me, and the force is strong in him, says that the SE-02 got nothing against the Sub.

But I can definitely see reasons for a switch, though it feels unlikely Iā€™ll go down that path. The Subā€™s just such a classy piece of gear.

2 Likes

Wow, didnā€™t realise that.
Well that changes everything, se-02 obviously doesnā€™t compare spec wise.
I think I have listened to hundreds of sub 37 demos and never heard anything resembling FM? Weird.

I agree. Itā€™s a thing of beauty and Moogā€™s modern master piece.

1 Like

As @AdamJay says, the Sub37 is a modulation beast. Through the two LFOs, you can control pitch, filter and one additional source of your choice, and thatā€™s everything times two. I usually go for the feedback or drive for subtle sine wave stuff, and then slap on a modulation on the resonance on top of that, to get a lead to go from clear to just slightly overdriven, and the back again. Gives it an unpredictable feel that makes a patch almost dangerous.

The inherent level of effect of this can then go from default to any variatio you choose by assining an additional controller to set the top or bottom value for the LFO effect. I go for the modulation wheel when I do this, but you can assign both LFOs to independently of each other be modulated by different sources.

Itā€™s something else, for sure, and certainly something to consider if modulationā€™s your thing.

1 Like

Yep, I am. Just playing with the notion, but not really considering it. Got no gas going for this or anything else right now, but I do enjoy the talk.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s an A4 on Muffs for $750.
Not ā€œcheap fun thingā€ exactly, but Cheap for an A4!

Publicizing this to save myself from myself.

Monologue and a Volca Sample would be loads of fun for that interim, though!

2 Likes

You watch that Deadmau5 video where he shows off his studio and his home, and youā€™ll want for nothing after that. I like Deadmau5, but if there ever was a guy who had gear he really wouldnā€™t need to make the stuff he makes, thatā€™d be that him.

1 Like

Itā€™s still strange, when I google sub 37 FM it still seems that everyone in the past was requesting it to be added? Was it added as a firmware update at some point?
The search even came up with this Elektronauts thread with people requesting FM on sub 37? Saw these comments when googling in the past and just presumed.
Anyway itā€™s OT for se-02 so need to discuss here.

Everyone deserves a Volca Sample. Best thing Korg made since sliced bread. Not that they made sliced bread. But if they had, the Volca Sample wouldā€™ve been the successor to that brilliance.

2 Likes

To be honest, Iā€™m not sure what FM means in this context. What, exactly, are you looking for in terms of features, to tick this box?

But as you said, perhaps not relevant to this thread. If you wanna go deep on the Sub37, you can PM me, Iā€™d be happy to help.