Roland JV-1080 only two CCs via Ableton?

hey, is anyone using the Roland JV-1080 with Ableton?

If so, maybe you can answer this:

So it works that if CC numbers are assigned via the system via Control 1 and 2, any parameters can be controlled via ableton here. But the problem is that there are only two CCs that can be controlled. but here many different CCs should be assigned, with an editor from the internet this is also possible. however, no editor should be used, because that is just horror. the CCs should be assigned themselves and then drawn in via the Ableton MIDI clip. With the two CCs mentioned, that’s not an issue.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s correct. As you know, the JV-1080 can only respond to a limited number of MIDI CC messages, and these have to be programmed in the JV-1080 as the EFX Control Source or Patch Control Source. I imagine that the patch editor software is using System Exclusive (SysEx) messages, not CC messages, to communicate with the synth.

I don’t know whether you can use that feature to send SysEx messages.

If not, you are limited to the relatively few CC messages listed in the JV-1080’s MIDI implementation chart given on page 156 of its manual, plus whatever you set for the Control Source settings.

2 Likes

I’ve tried several times to read the manual, but to no avail.

With the two CC assignments via the system, this works 100%, I already control this assignment via ableton.

there has to be a way to access all CCs because the editor can do that too.

Are you sure that the editor sends CC messages instead of SysEx messages?

1 Like

…that’s a good question, in any case you could use this editor to automate all parameters via ableton. unfortunately these editors are pretty rudimentary.

thank you for your help! I read it again afterwards and it is indeed the case that the Roland can be controlled with sysex data. in ableton this is possible in addition to the jv vst editor via max for live, because max can process sysex. still nice to know that i can control at least two arbitrary cc assignments directly from ableton.

You can assign many functions and parameters to these controls, or mod wheel

But menue diving is harder than an editor.

Its worth it to get your hand dirty with these old JV rack mounts though.

Good info here

1 Like