Roland Boutique SH-01A

yea i really dislike modern Roland. they give me the heeby jeebies, they’re like the stepford wives :smile:

but they did a great job on the 01a (and a few others - se02, ju06a are noteable mentions). :+1:t3:

1 Like

I did some demos where I tried to get some Aphex, BOC kinda pads.
I also play 2-3 note pads mostly

Edit: Shoot, forgot that I posted them in this thread already…

4 Likes

Same, big chords are for losers and tarnce-heads :joy:
(Kidding obvs)

6 Likes

love a bit o tarnce, me :smile:

1 Like

Epic tarnce or progressive tarnce? :joy:

3 Likes

spy tarnce :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Just adding to the love here ! Mine gets its sequencer triggered by my A4. A joy !

1 Like

@dtr was looking for a new name. I think we’ve found it.

2 Likes

These blaggers are pants!

4 Likes

The SH-101 is one of the definitive electro bass synths, if you’re into Microlith and that CPU records sound it’s all over many of those records.

The 01a is a great synth. It’s an improved, polyphonic, 101 in a case the size of a 303.

2 Likes

It would be great if Roland did a Mk2 that was a similar size, or maybe a little larger sothere is a little more space between the faders. And then did away with the boutique format and made it look like a cohesive piece, not just a boutique module stuck inside of a plastic keyboard.

2 Likes

I’m just waiting for a boutique alpha Juno and then all my 90’s dreams can be squeezed into one flight case.

1 Like

Can anybody comment on the “endless sequencer” @AdamJay had mentioned earlier? I’m wondering if I send midi note out from my Digitone, can I record these notes, for extremely long bassline sequences, into the SH-01A’s sequencer?

Yes, midi notes from the DN can program the sequencer but won’t include legato/tie and rest notes. The sequencer can record up to 100 steps (including ties and rests) and you can save up to 64 sequences.

Edit for a bit more info: because the sequence can be any length you can get nice polymetric stuff going. Also you can use the trigger in to advance the sequencer which works really nicely with drum machines.

Eg:

5 Likes

Yep, and you can also put the SH-01A in poly mode and then use the DN’s excellent chord generator and/or scales via Midi :wink:

1 Like

If they follow the route taken with the JU-06A and remove the two ribbon controllers on the left, there’s far more space for additional controls. Personally speaking, though, I like their tiny size, as they are very portable :blush:

1 Like

I assumed you just overlap the notes to get glide?
I’m sure I was doing that.

Watching many demos now, thinking about picking one of these babies up. Even the pads it can do in poly mode sound good. Anybody looking to buy a great condition Novation BS2?

where are you located?

1 Like

It’ll do that if you’re playing notes (outside of the sequencer) if you have the portamento switch set to “auto”. When you’re recording into the sequencer (“Load” mode) I thought you had to hold the “Legato” button while you input the note if you wanted it tied to the previous note. But I’ll try it… would actually make sense if it worked that way.