Roland Boutique D-05 Linear Synthesizer

Worked all summer at the Birdseye factory in Lowestoft in 1989 for one of these and an Alesis SR-16 intending to become Suffolk’s answer to Adamski… :blush:
Went off the Uni in London and got burgled two weeks in!! Only had them for a bleedin’ week! Obviously being 18, had no contents insurance…
Today’s announcement brought that most horrible feeling flooding right back!

Apologies for going off topic… :blush:

14 Likes

I bought my first synth less than two years ago and it was a notation bass station 2

1 Like

I got ripped off at uni too - they stole a cassette deck with a copy of Daft Punk Honework still in it and a see-through Gameboy with a copy of a Terminator 2

1 Like

A pox on them! Thieving bastards.

1 Like

Had a D50 card in my Vsynth XT but never used it.
Not a fan of the sound. Sounded dated way back then imo
Not looking forward to hearing fantasia from every kid out there

Greetings from an old Framingham regular

1 Like

Arya oroight moi maan? How y’durn?
:sheep:

2 Likes

Fair bin yeeers rund them parts buh!

3 Likes

Koo’tahonk chap, ass good t’hare a fumilya voice, en’tut…

4 Likes

At least this boutique won’t be subjected to ACB discussions.
For better or worse this keyboard is basically the sound of 1987/88.

Hate the touch strips on this and the SH-01A though. Horrible. Prefer, what Roland did with the 08 and put the jogwheel / joystick where the touch strips are. If nothing else to balance out the front panel. Everything seems squished.

Saying all that, doubt I will get any of these.

Part from playing the Star Trek Next Generation Soundtrack I see no use for this instrument. :vulcan:

3 Likes

The Moment when you realize that legowelts fingernail is multiple times larger as the Joystick XD

2 Likes

If it were multi-timbral I would be all over it. It’s tempting though, but I do have a SY22 and JV1010 for similar sounds, so I don’t really need it… but the other drawcard for me is the possibility of MIDI CC control… If I could hook it up to the octatrack and control parameters in realtime, hoooly shit gimme one now

1 Like

Me likey! Been eyeing the d50 for a while, the thing that put me off was it’s size. This one fits the bill!

When Roland releases a workstation in Boutique format, I will be right back into the abyss again. And I will love every second of it.

Chances are very good that it will be possible.
The first Boutiques (JP/JX/JU) did not have a comprehensive MIDI CC# spec, but were given one in an early update.
Every new Boutique since then has shipped with a comprehensive MIDI CC# spec.
There is no reason to think that Roland would inhibit the D-05 in this way.

3 Likes

Other Boutiques can be bitimbral, I have seen a trick to play two patches at the same time somewhere.
Maybe compatible with D05 ?

I think the only one that supported that was the JP-08.

And isnt it not truly bitimbral? As the patches can’t be split on the keyboard or across more than one midi channel (they’re just layered on the same incoming notes).

Think I read from somewhere that the D05 is bitimbral as well. And fully supported by the various D50 sysex editors and the PG1k programmer.

I wonder how much wavetable data this box will have… AFAIR the og unit did not use multisamples, so plenty of sweet spots to be found playing back the PCMs at really low pitches :loopy:

That is, assuming DCB nails the funk of the og output stage…