Roland AIRA Compact Series: T-8 beat, J-6 chord & E-4 voice

Check out the T-8! It has a TB-303 style synth built in.

FYI to those wondering - Sonic State vid said these are ACB technology btw. Not Zencore.

4 Likes

Oh really! I didn’t really look into them… Hmm then it’s not gonna happen I think…

Don’t have time to watch the video. Curious about the bassline sequencer.
If that’s ok, it really would be a nice package for a little acid jam :slightly_smiling_face:

Will these connect to the Roland MX-1 over USB?

A compact mx1 portable and rechargeable would be a nice addition

3 Likes

Now these, IMO go straight into that useless “gadget” category. Frankly, it looks way weaker than a Volca, but costs more. I don’t know. The whole affair sounds like classic post 2010s Roland. I know saying that it’s a VST in a box is stupid sometimes, but man it looks like a freeware VST that comes with that lite version of a DAW in a box.

2 Likes

It seems they don’t have any parameter sequencing, which makes them a bit lifeless.

E-4 is my bag.

1 Like

Freeware VST usually have a lot more tweakable options than those tiny boxes.

2 Likes

They look pretty cool, wonder if they will have midi CC control over all the parameters?

Nice to see internal rechargable battery power too, other battery modern Roland gear chews through AA’s.

£177 preorder, so probably £149/£129 once they become in stock.

3 Likes

Likewise! Thinking for band rehearsals, a wee rechargeable vocal manipulation device could be real fun. That said, it is the same price as the TC Helicon Perform-VE etc…will definitely consider.

All in all, quite interesting and unexpected set of devices here. Not finding them particularly alluring but the portability and form factor holds some power: can imagine using on the sofa, using as basic accompaniment for jams with friends, or as simple writing tools.

2 Likes

I can’t get past the cannibalising aspect…

Tr-8, Tr-8s, Tr-08, T-8.

It’s funny how they went from making analog emulations of real sounds, to digital emulations of analog sounds.

That being said, these look fun if not a bit pricey.

2 Likes

…some blame elektron for not staying innovative, when it comes to syntakt…
…but have a look at rolands “innovation” skills…

they still squeeze all their right of existence out of stuff they invented 40!!! years ago…same same but different since decades…

while i have to admit…i had their very first voice transformer box, full blown orange meets blue metal box, in heavy use back in the 90ies…

so, even given the fact that all live vocal make up is done here since ages by tc helicons, i’m tempted to get my hands, err vocals, on this neat little ev thingie…

6 Likes

no CC

Those have a lot of things thought through, like the battery, audio inputs, class compliance. 5 years ago, when I had a setup consisting of lots of small boxes, I´d be all over them

1 Like

The e-4 looks right up my alley. It looks like a beefed up vt-4 with the additional scatter fx and looper. The battery makes it really tempting to combine with the m8 for some couch sampling sessions. Jade wii makes it seem like it’s great fun to mess around with and create weird loops:

9 Likes

MIDI implementation docs are not available at the moment.
but MIDI ins/outs are there, so let’s see.
i’m interested too, since i would pair these with some real sequencer.

2 Likes

Hmm, these sure look interesting. :slight_smile:
After skipping through some reviews I do have some doubts.

The J-6 seems the most interesting. While it’s lacking a bunch and doesn’t really sound amazing it does include MIDI, sync, audio i/o, USB-C, battery powered, a sequencer, arp, reverb and delay and other nice features and seems pretty usable for it’s small size.

Overall I think Roland is hitting the jackpot, kids are gonna love these little boxes.

4 Likes

Yeah these are adorable. I can see the E-4 being an addition to my studio/live setup if I ever want to get back into vocals.

Of course they’re not for everyone. If you want something more complex, get the more complex boxes, or go for a different manufacturer. Complaining about how simple they are is kinda missing the point in a huge way.

6 Likes

ah nice, how it compared to the VT-4 was something else I’d wondered but don’t know that product well. Builds on the VT-4 rather than offering a boiled-down, simplified version would you say?