Roland AIRA Compact Series: T-8 beat, J-6 chord & E-4 voice

I’ve used the j6 as a controller for a few things now and it’s so convenient and handy!

2 Likes

nice, glad you are liking it so far.

T-8 arrived a few days ago. Exactly what I wanted - a tiny battery powered 303 module that also happens to have X0X drums, to run through my Digitakt inputs in a live setting. Distortion, FX, and 303 all sound typical Roland quality.

Sequencing drums internally is fine and fairly straightforward, though a bit annoying given Roland’s menu structure and the crappy display for making any sound design changes live. Often not sure if I’m in a menu, step recording, or mute mode.

Lack of faders is a bummer, as is lack of independent track lengths for the drums (but what can one expect at this price point).

The 303 sequencer is alright for happy accident sequencing, e.g. ‘live record random notes and see what happens.’ The random generator is nice but I’d never use that live. Both are better than a classic 303 sequencer, but I’m spoiled by other modern sequencers.

Due to the above I’ve taken to sequencing it with my Oxi One and it’s a perfect match:

• 1 multitrack dedicated to the drums, where I can see all the drum sequencers on a single grid and can set independent track lengths for each instrument.
  • 1 mono track to melodic step sequence the acid bassline visually, make midi loops and randomize octave, accents, gate/slide on the fly.
  • I lose the step loop and fill functions on the T-8’s internal sequencer, but Oxi’s arp feature on the drums can kind of fake step loop
  • Being able to play arps over an existing acid sequence and transpose octaves is pretty fun and creative and takes the T-8 out of typical acid territory
  • Layering external sequences over internal patterns simultaneously actually leads to happy accidents and often sounds good (both drums and bass)

The T-8 takes 2 midi channel inputs - 1 midi channel for rhythm, where kick, snare etc each take a different note, and a separate midi channel for bass.

On the rhythm channel, the note values corresponding to each drum voice are a little odd, like C, D, F, G# instead of C, C#, D, D#, and they’re in a weird order, too, but after some trial and error got it set up and working flawlessly.

Pros

• Sounds great (typical Roland)
  • Step loop, probability per step, and fill feature keep things interesting and jammable
  • Crazy light, crazy small, battery powered. The perfect module
  • Price point
  • Some of the shortcuts are pretty useful live

Cons

• Limited sound design options, would 100% purchase an expansion pack if Roland made one
  • I’m not sure if it saves settings per pattern, e.g. distortion, fx send amounts, etc. I think it does, but need to check
  • No independent track lengths per drum voice
  • Typical crappy Roland menu systems and obscure button combos requiring some RTFM
  • Alarm clock display
6 Likes

I may (arguably) have posted my question in the wrong place, so forgive the cross-linked post:

From @Yebisu303

9 Likes

I was curious about the type of battery used, so took a peek inside, it is in a little plastic box but looks to be fairly easily replaceable.

14 Likes

I am so angry this battery isn’t in the existing Boutique range. And especially the TR-6S.

Wow, he got the J-6 working as a MIDI controller for Ableton in zero time.

The chords sound legit - not just chords that only work for songs in a major key.

I can see this happening in my near future… going to our fave local music shop to check out the new Oberheim, compare it head to head with the Prophet 5…

…and when the local keyboard snobs aren’t looking, I’m going to sneak over to the cashier with J-6 in hand and run on home

5 Likes

Me: What kind of a scam is this Unison MIDI Chord Pack bullshit?! Seriously ought to be illegal.

Also me: Legit excited to have dropped $200 on a tiny box I’ll primarily use to sequence chords!!

7 Likes

Me: I can probably take a Raspberry Pi, a USB MIDI interface and a USB tenkey, whip up some Python and have a better chord generator than anything on the market.

Me, next week: [calling Detroit Modular] “so I’m going to need all three of the new Rolands and what other sequencers and sequence generators do you recommend?”

Raspberry Pis continue to gather dust

8 Likes

Haha - well it is a very tidy and portable little package, good to use on its own, and handy as a little midi device. The build quality is pretty nice, feels a bit like a decent game pad, buttons feel pretty solid.

I think these are like a bit of a step up from Korg Volcas at least as far as things like pattern memories and USB - although they don’t have midi CCs as the Volcas do. It will be interesting to see what Korg do on any future Volcas.

3 Likes

I gave up and put RetroPie on mine. At least I use it now :wink:

This is certainly good to hear! Though if I’m honest I was all-in the moment I saw that silk screen of the staff with measures around each sequencer button and the 𝄆 𝄇s on either end. Too cute!

1 Like

Hello,

I purchase the T-8 and the J-6. Quite happy with both ! They sound great imho. For multi-pattern tracks, i use my MC-101 or my Model:Cycles to send program changes via MIDI, thus obtaining pattern chaining ability.

I would like to ask J-6 owners if they experience the same problems that i have ÷

• I hear a little “jump” when the J-6 switches between patterns, especially with the same “instrument” with the same exact sound parameters.

The test can be done with say a sustained chord in one pattern. I copy it in another pattern, and if I switch between the 2, the “jump” is noticeable.

• I also hear noise when turning the sound volume knob at high level with the filter at minimum value.

These are more or less noticeable depending on the sound, melody and mix with other device.

Have you opened the black box? It would be interesting to know which type of cells are contained there.

Here you go:

3.7v 850mah with integrated charge circuit, pretty standard.

6 Likes

Can anyone with a J-6 shed some light on this: how does it work in practice as a chord progression idea generation device? I see that it has a number of chord presets for different genres, but not sure how you combine them in practice. Does it lend itself to explorations of new chord combinations or does it invite you to simply follow the preset progressions?

It’s already clear that this device will enable melodic ideas for people previously unfamiliar with them. Meaning, we’ll likely see a shift from blip blop techno to something more like melodic trance for certain people. :blush:

But what I’m trying to figure out is, is this tool helpful also for those people who already know a thing or two about chord progressions but are just looking for new ideas? And will this thing last a long time in the sense that it can inspire 100s of new chord progressions, or will a user mostly just gravitate to that one favorite preset set, e.g. “Pop 1”?

You select a chord preset then play it on the keys, you can shift the keyboard, that is about it.

In the sequencer you can enter chords or single notes, or your own chord (upto 4 notes) and for each step you can set the style/variation, but not the chord genre.

Yeah probably lots of bad trance will be made now :laughing:

But, there is something very endearing about the J-6, it just has a simple charm about it.

1 Like

While I think these things are a jackpot for Roland I do feel the Novation Circuit beats the T-8.

The T-8 is smaller and the built in battery makes it easier, but overall isn’t the Circuit more bang for the buck?

Undoubtedly, as is the MC-101 - you can buy a used one for the price of 2 of the Aira mini units, and get a lot more functions than a T-8 and J-6.

However, these are one trick ponies, and are IMHO well designed to do just the thing they do, nothing more. There are a few quirks and omissions and just a couple of odd design decisions, maybe some of the omissions and quirks will be addressed in a firmware update.

I think if you like making acid the T-8 is a great little sketchpad, if not then probably very little to get excited about.

For a portable, handy chord generator the J-6 is pretty cool, the sequencer is very akin to the JX3p sequencer, it can be used for single notes as well as arps/chords, and can be set to different resolutions.

The E-4 is kind of an oddball, vocoder/autotune/harmoniser/looper but pretty fun for vocal stuff.

All sound excellent, and are pretty much all sweet spot devices.

Things I wish were different:

E-4 can’t affect line in, only mic in.
T-8 would have been better with more drum sound choices. Also the 303 knob layout is a bit dumb IMHO.
As of now none respond to midi CC.
No motion recording.

1 Like

Got it! That confirms it’s like the chord progression feature on the MPC so it doesn’t really add anything new other than a few more chord progression sets.