RIP Pharoah Sanders

We lost a giant today

32 Likes

He will also live forever in electronic music thanks to this

R.I.P.

4 Likes

What a wonderful music filled life. RIP

1 Like

Damn. R.I.P. I can’t claim to have heard loads of his work but what I have heard is incredible. The creator has a master plan is beyond beautiful. Not many pieces of music that make me cry joyful tears and laugh and shake my head all in 30 minutes.

1 Like

No way! Again, I’m not well-versed in his work but I love everything I’ve heard, and his recent collab with Floating Points was amazing.

2 Likes

RIP to a huge giant. Will be missed.

I’m an old guy - and had the good fortune to see Pharaoh many times over the years. If I had to pick one musician who has affected me the most - he would be the guy. Just a spiritual and soulful player. I remember him finishing one, long song at a club in Chicago - and when done, the crowd was silent until one fellow in the crowd comes out with…“Pharoahhhh”. The best.

7 Likes

Wow!! one of my fave sax and " THE creator has a master plan" is one of my top 10 recording he played on for the great vocalist Thomas…last name I fail to remember…as a young man getting into jazz while working at a record store in DC " Melody Records" where lots of aficionados of jazz used to visit daily. They turned me on to the avant Gard and be-bop greats. cant help feeling sad though he lived a full exciting and creative life. May you RIP and thank you for the lesson and love.

1 Like

I had just bought that record few month ago and was happy to hear that he was recording.

1 Like

Indeed. Though he was a life force musician, who’s body of work cannot be simplified to one recording. If you feel his music it seems insensitive to consider it to “live on in electronic music”. He was a jazz saxophonist, a highly talented and dedicated musician who respected music as a form of energy, not a genre. His music is breathing, not electronic.

His music will live on, not because of electronic music, but because of the human breath which literally made it audible to us all.

5 Likes

Still remember the first time I heard this one. Sam had a website set up for a day before release pre listening session, and before the album started there’s a prompt to turn off the lights and put away your phones. I did exactly that, had a pax next to me and… it was unreal

Also managed to see him at a festival here in south France just before covid. What a legend

RIP Pharoah Sanders

Yeah, this is one of the few albums where I realized wirhin seconds that this is something special. Same was with „Ys“ by Joanna Newsom back then. I ordered both within the first seconds of the first song/track.

1 Like

So sad to see him go. I remember being blown away by his contribution to this 1970 album, a classic. He first comes in a minute into the first track…

6 Likes

Wow this is really sad… his last album with Floating Points was one of the most beautiful experiences I had in a long time. RIP

Brilliant album.

RIP

1 Like

For anyone who hasn’t heard the whole thing. I’m sure lots have but I wasn’t aware of it until a few years ago and only knew a 10 minute edit for a long time.

1 Like

No!!!
No!
a giant, gone…

This is the first album I ever sampled. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rip - what a player.

Saw him twice in one night - he invited us all to stay for the 2nd show which was a stand up show.

Anyway in first show, I was low dosing, and found myself floating away in some strange otherworld.
I open my eyes, returning, and being so close to the stage - a beaming smile and a nod from the master…he was taking a rest on a chair, very close to me.
Seem like we looked right into each other and he was overcome with joy and peace. I was smiling like an acid happy face back at pharoah.

I’ll never forget that moment.

Peace be with you pharoah.

4 Likes

A storied lifetime of music. He was a blessing :rose: