RIP Peter Rehberg AKA Pita of (Editions) Mego

Such sad and shocking news - he was only 53:

What a hero of electronic music though, and such a legacy. I’ve probably got most things Mego / Editions Mego released over the decades.

RIP.

14 Likes

ugh. RIP. too young! such contributions to the musical world.

2 Likes

Fucking hell.

That’s terrible news.

What a talent.

What a shame.

1 Like

Gosh, so so young, dreadful news … gonna spin The Magic Sound of Fenn O’Berg right now and dig out some other Mego stuff to celebrate his work

4 Likes

That truly sucks.

RIP

:cry:

Editions Mego is legendary. I was not aware until now there was a “single mind” behind it it. That man is thusly legendary and will sorely be missed. Would probably have had a few more innovators to sign. RIP

1 Like

And excellent sub-labels like Spectrum Spools too, and all the GRM re-issues of classic electronic music. A friend had just emailed him recently about releasing a third album for Editions Mego too :frowning:

1 Like

Super bummed, Mego stuff was a revelation for me in the early aughts when I was first getting into noise and experimental music. Such a unique vision. RIP, gone too soon.

1 Like

Incredibly sad. (e)Mego is by far my favorite label out there- not because every release is something I like, but because it feels truly genuine and consistent in its search for music that ventures outside of the normal.

For a while in my early 20s I bought almost every new Mego release just because it would always surprise me in some way. There was no expectations other than it would be interesting, which in itself is quite remarkable really.

What Peter Rehberg did for music with Mego and its sub-labels is simply incredible, from the importance of highlighting music that seemingly has no home to re-issuing archival material that needed a second or third listen.

9 Likes

Yes, this is pretty much exactly how I feel about (Editions) Mego; well put. The world of electronic music will be severely diminished by Peter Rehberg’s absence from it.

1 Like

This week’s edition (#529) of the Brainwashed Radio podcast is a tribute to Rehberg with a great selection of music from him and his label. RIP.

11 Likes

I’m going thru some of the Mego stuff I haven’t heard, somehow missed Äänipää, a Vainio & O’Malley collaboration despite following both artists pretty closely. Sounds pretty good!

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder. Massive Mika fan but overlooked this one too. Listed for next Bandcamp Friday.

My extremely short review: Sounds like a lost Vainio solo but with horror guitar drones instead of synths. Very enjoyable stuff if you like cold, oppressive electronics.

2 Likes

I was part of this project in Ireland back in 2000. Pita was one of the artists that contributed to it and you can download individual releases from all the artists as MP3s on their website. Thought some of you might enjoy this little sonic noise distraction. I first met Peter Rehberg in Vienna in 1994/95 when he was just setting up Mego and so for me this is quite a shock indeed.

http://www.fallt.com/invalidobject/break

The ‘invalidObject Series’ was established in 2000 as a sublabel of Fällt to release a finite series of twenty four 3" CD / MP3 works.

Offering a unique perspective on a diverse range of musical output at the turn of the millennium, the ‘Series’ featured work by some of the most respected artists operating within the field of ‘.microsound’ and was described as “a remarkable document of a vibrant artistic community and a critical moment in the evolution of digital music” (Philip Sherburne), “a showcase for the extraordinary range of practical approaches within contemporary electronic music” (Matt Ffytche, The Wire) and, simply, “impressive” (Rob Young, Editor, The Wire).

24 artists were approached to produce a 15 minute 3" CD, and each was to take as their title one term from the “original 24 JavaScript reserved words” such as ‘default’, ‘do’, ‘void’ and so on. Each 15 minutes was to be further subdivided into one minute segments, giving artists the options of producing 15 one minute tracks. Such shared conditions created a strange and tantalising counterpoint to the sheer variety and contingency of the content.

7 Likes

I have a few of these CD’s still, including the Pita and Goem. I think Cray (who also had a release in that series) is or was an elektronaut too.

It was a great series of releases. I have a complete set here of the series. You can see a list of the artists here, and Cray was indeed one of them!

1 Like

RIP.
Mego was an eye opening experience for me at the time.
Fenneze Endless Summer is still one of my fave.

3 Likes