RIP Ennio Morricone

A bit shocked by the news. I’ve been a fan basically since I saw my first VHS in the early eighties which was The Good The Bad And The Ugly. Alongside John Carpenter he’s my favourite movie composer and I’m quite positive I wouldn’tve started a band called Nightsatan that plays Italo-postapocalyptic inspired soundtrack music without Ennio Morricone showing the way.

Hats off to the master.

28 Likes

Really sad. He gave us so much beautiful music. The term legend is so over used these days, but he really was one.
Grazie Ennio. RIP. :rose:

7 Likes

If you’ve got a spare hour and a bit today. Pop this on. Absolutely fantastic.

7 Likes

An amazing talent who composed such iconic music. RIP.

2 Likes

Of all his fantastic compositions, I most often return to parts of The Untouchables - especially the part with the killing in the police dept elevator. It’s just the perfect melodics to the emotions and visuals - simply a masterpiece as so many times when it comes to him.

Thanks for the music, Ennio!

4 Likes

A sad day, RIP my hero.

just sad.

3 Likes
1 Like

Ennio has been with me all my life. From the Spaghetti Westerns to Chi Mai to The Mission and beyond.

This ones for you Ennio

1 Like

RIP, Ennio.

6 Likes

It took me some time to discover Morricone. An older guy in the office of my first job was right into movies and after some time I worked through various spaghetti westerns and, obviously, my introduction to Morricone had begun. But it wasn’t until I finally got round to watching the masterful Once Upon a Time in the West that I realised just how big a talent he was. Not sure it is possible to get more emotion in a soundtrack and the main theme is quite fitting for sad news such as this.

4 Likes

This guy was the soundtrack to my grindhouse youth.

Italian cinema in the 60’s and 70’s was genuinely amazing but Morricone managed to stay amazing for the next 40 years.

3 Likes
1 Like

The Thing theme is John Carpenter I think? Morricone was credited but his intro music wasn’t used. The Hateful 8 actually used his original theme for The Thing (H8 is basically The Thing anyway)

1 Like

Morricone put the score together in a hurry before the film was finished. Carpenter used about half of it and he and Alan Howarth added certain cues and sections themselves. The main theme is about 50/50 between Morricone and Carpenter/Howarth. They did the 80’s horror equivalent of putting a donk on it.

5 Likes

Always loved Morricone’s music. What a talented man.
Sad that he passed away…
I guess his themes and style will keep on resonating for a long time though.

3 Likes

One of a kind, a truly great loss. I love Ennio Morricone because of his playful approach to Film Scoring as well as communicating depth of human emotion.
One of my favourite fun pieces/recordings is one he wrote and never fails to cheer me up when I’m hacked off with the world when it gets real ugly. I often thought I would have liked to give him a little hug and say thanks Ennio!

1 Like

If you’ve never seen this film or this scene in particular (spoiler watch the film first) then you haven’t lived. His music sends shivers down your spine.

3 Likes

RIP. He had such a unique voice and was unequal in writing such beautiful music.

1 Like

Ahhh this sucks, what a kick in the guts.

“The Light” from The Antichrist is one of my favourites, an absolutely incredible piece of Organ music.

1 Like
4 Likes