Rim Shot messing up Clap ?!

ok i just got my AR yesterday. everything working great except this one strange issue: on one of the kits i made a certain type of rim shot, problem is every time i now trigger this rim shot, my clap becomes all weird and muffled?! i have to change kits in order to get the clap back to normal behaviour. now i understand the rim shot and clap are somehow linked in the architecture yet this type of issue must be a bug or am i missing something? :confused:

Indeed Rim Shot and Clap are linked together, same as Open/Close Hats.
So you cannot have the two sounds trigged at the same time (iirc the priority goes to the biggest number).
Also, if you have a sound that last more than 1 step, and you have a trig on the next step for the other track, your sound will be cut.

This is not a bug, but really a big constraint, I admit.
While using the mutes you get some very different results : try to find it interesting rather than annoying :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

One way to hack this would be putting for instance a rim shot sample on your clap track, and trigger once the synth, once the sample, or both if you need to.

try to find it interesting rather than annoying :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I reckon this is the best route too.

Thanks but I forgot to mention the sequencer isn’t running when i run into this issue (just triggering the pads) and all it takes is tapping the rim shot pad once so that the clap sounds messed up until i re-load the kit or power cycle the unit …

In one of my kits the CB12 changes tonality when the CY11 has been triggered. Like every other 16 steps. Not sure what happens, sound like the oscillator is shifting pitch slightly.

Turned out really great so I don’t mind but it’s surely not the way it is supposed to work.

In other kits this doesn’t happen so it’s not consistent.

hopefully a future firmware update will allow us to disable the choking/muting of these pairs? i’m finding it quite annoying so far, despite trying to ‘enjoy’ it :stuck_out_tongue:

Well the rim shot interacts with the clap even outside the sequencer : think of it as one audio track shared by two sounds.
As soon as one want to take the channel, it walks over the previous sound.
This can give very strange results, especially if you use retrig or direct pattern switching.
What are the decay parameters of your rim shot and your clap (in sytnh, but also in amp) ?
Maybe one of them is messing with the other…

amp decay is maxed and i’ve set rimshot synth decay to max and it doesn’t change the issue. i’ve also noticed when changing to a pattern with a whole different kit, the clap remains fucked until i retrigger the rimshot on the new pattern and then the clap comes back to life… i find this whole thing so weird… i’ve now tried all kinds of rimshot settings on the problematic kit but the clap keeps getting muffled?? i’m going to try upgrading to latest firmware (i’m on 1.02) maybe that will fix it?

edit: just upgraded to 1.21 and issue persists :disappointed:

ok hurray i figured the source of the problem: SYMMETRY parameter on the RimShot was at +63 ! any info on what that parameter does?

Well done ! I would have thought that putting DEC parameters to the middle value would do the trick…

From the manual, SYMMETRY adjusts the nonlinearity in the special rimshot circuit.
Now we all see what this means, don’t we ?

hopefully a future firmware update will allow us to disable the choking/muting of these pairs? i’m finding it quite annoying so far, despite trying to ‘enjoy’ it :P[/quote]
Don’t hold your breath on that one. It’s an analog 8 voice drum computer so firmware isn’t likely to do anything about that.

hopefully a future firmware update will allow us to disable the choking/muting of these pairs? i’m finding it quite annoying so far, despite trying to ‘enjoy’ it :P[/quote]
Don’t hold your breath on that one. It’s an analog 8 voice drum computer so firmware isn’t likely to do anything about that.
[/quote]
uh, the sequencer is digital… it’s totally possible.

[/quote]
uh, the sequencer is digital… it’s totally possible.[/quote]
Isn’t it 8 analog circuits setting the 8 voice limit?

[/quote]
Isn’t it 8 analog circuits setting the 8 voice limit? [/quote]
i was only talking about the choking/muting of the pairs, i.e. ability to play them simultaneously. crossed wires :slight_smile:

[/quote]
Isn’t it 8 analog circuits setting the 8 voice limit? [/quote]
i was only talking about the choking/muting of the pairs, i.e. ability to play them simultaneously. crossed wires :)[/quote]
oh hang on, i see what you mean now… :confused:
but as the interface treats them as 2 seperate tracks with their own filter/fx/sample settings, who knows?! i remain hopefull :slight_smile:

Isn’t it 2 sounds using 1 voice? Regardless of audio tracks only 1 sound can play at any time on the shared tracks. That can’t change with software afaik. Be great if I’m wrong tho.

yep, you are right, as is LarsErik. looks like my OT may be playing some (more) drum samples, then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

yep, you are right, as is LarsErik. looks like my OT may be playing some (more) drum samples, then ;P[/quote]
Not too shabby a workaround : )

would be nice to see an option for setting voice priority -either rim or clap…so when both triggered, one will be the “master”…

On a pair of linked track sharing one voice, you can perfectly change one for the other, you access the same machines.
Maybe the option you’re talking about would be useful, but you can already find another way to get to your need.