Review: Octatrack at year 8 - Is it still worth it?

gooood, goooood, join the army and prevail

Ha, I just bit the bullet and picked up a Mk. II from a forum user. Definitely excited about all the possibilities. Time to crack the books!

6 Likes

Have fun! and some patience :slight_smile:

1 Like

thinking about getting a second unit. maybe mk1.

2 Likes

Hunting a used mk1 in the uk in earnest , reading merlins guide and getting further gear tweaked on hooking up a launchcontrol xl via a Kenton usb midi box. Love how new gear begats more new gear. Anyone in UK looking to unload one pm me

4 Likes

Yes but why is the OT MK2 display black/white and the Digitakt in color? I do not understand that.

Thereā€™s one up for sale in the Elektron Octatrack page on facebook, great condition for Ā£650

1 Like

Both are monochrome. Buy colored sunglasses. :eyeglasses:

3 Likes

Knobs is the one guy that makes truly beautiful stuff amongst all the content creatorsā€¦ love listening to whatever he makes

2 Likes

You can probably get one for less if you keep your eyes peeled. Got mine for Ā£520 I think in perfect condition. Depends how much you are willing to wait and if you want one with warranty left I guess though.

Because the grey OT would look ugly with a yellow display. :grin:

4 Likes

I believe that one has two years of warranty left. But one way or another, for those prices itā€™s a steal, really.

2 Likes

Price wise it costs about the same for a white on black display as it does for a pee yellow on black display, it isnā€™t like old CRT TVs in the 1970s when color was more expensive than B&W :joy:
Also the DT (and OT) screen is monochrome, not color.

The OTmkII display looks much much nicer than the DT one in my opinion, I changed my DT and DN from pee yellow to nice dark orange/amber by using colored film.

9 Likes

looks much nicer indeed

That really does look good, you nailed the old amber monochrome CRT monitor color.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been using the OT as a mixer/fx processor for my analog drum machines.
Really breathes even more life into the Acidlab Drumatix.

4 outs from Drumatix.
Kicks, Snares, Clap+Rim, Hat+CY+Tom

4 ins into OT. 4 thru tracks, each with its own neighbor track.
So 4 FX per Drumatix output.
4 x 4 x 4 x 4 !

:alien:

10 Likes

Comment of the week right there!

examples plz - share this awesomeness with the rest of us!

I have also been using it as a mixer/fx processor for my AB & 8raw8 at its inputs.

I have to say the OT is extremely versatile and whilst I donā€™t love all its FX, I do enjoy using neighbor tracks to stack themā€¦ so so awesome. :+1:

3 Likes

It took me a minute to figure out the 6 inputs. Assuming this includes the internal re-sampling.