Reverb kick

I’ve been using the reverb kick technique to create some rumbly bass and so far got a somewhat decent result, but there are 2 problems that I am still trying to figure out a workaround:

1 - When chaining the kicks a lot of times I get a very “clicky” snappy sound, adding a little fade in at the beginning of the dry kick usually kind of work out but it gets a bit muffled

2 - How do you manage the destructive interferences between the dry and the reverbed kicks? When I listen they sound ok but when I record it it gives me a very odd waveform

If anyone can help out with a few tricks it would be greatly appreciated :wink:

I would resample the wet signal. If using Ableton I would turn off warp to keep the original sound. Then you could either sidechain to the kick or as I would do, adjusting the audio clip and use the fade in the start of the clip, so that you get a smooth transition between the kick and the rumble. If it sounds clicky, then zoom in a lot to do a slight fade on the end. Was this what you meant?

Edit: oh, and sometimes it helps to do a fade in the end of the dry kick instead of the beginning to remove the clicks. This I think is Because of a bit of latency maybe?

if you doing it in Ableton , turn on EQ on side chain compressor and let side chain work only on low frequensys

1 Like

Thanks for the answer man,
I know what you mean but is not that click from enveloping/sampling at the end of the clip, is more of a characteristic of the sound itself.

Here is the kick without the fade in

and here with the fade in at the beginning

As you can hear, it’s very subtle but without the fade in it has this sharp sound at the beginning that stands out from the whole, with the fade in I found it smother but it lose a bit of its punch.

Thanks man, I will try that

Aarh okay, so you mean the click of the kick itself. Well then I would go in and eq it out. Either try to just notch it out in the higher frequencies or yeah low pass it. If you find the sound too muffled, then try to boost a bit either next to where you eq’ed out or in another place that sounds better to your ears.

1 Like

Tried the sidechain EQ on the wet signal and it really helped bringing back the punch. Some of the harsh sharpness came back though, but overall it is a lot smoother.

This kick is huge ! Is it RY only ? No post process ?

It has some processing. First a bit of compression to tight them together, eq to kill the <30 and most of the mid frequencies, drum-buss to give it some crunch, saturation do distort it a little bit and then another eq similar to the first one to tame the undesired frequencies that the DB and saturator brought up, finally I used utility to make it all mono.
Oh and the wet signal is already resampled from a kick with some distortion and EQ alongside the reverb.

hope it will work for you )