Reverb.com is shady... but what can you do?

If the price is too good then be careful. I’d suggest trying to collect in person if possible, though I think Reverb don’t allow an option for cash on collection so you still have to pay through the site.

1 Like

not really. no offers on it tho, lots of watchers. tough to know.

You might try messaging the seller on the pretext of asking a question about the gear, then see how they respond. Scammers will either try to string you along, bullshit you, or completely ignore you, but most honest sellers will answer quickly and knowledgeably.

6 Likes

Only the dead can know peace from the eye of Sauron.

1 Like

I basically don’t ever post here but have had an account for quite a while. I just posted an item on reverb and got a quick offer and received a message appearing to be from support to verify account. Long story short, I fell for a stupid scam and I’m down £250 because I went through the stupid process. Message took me to reverb.taket.eu. I verified a payment as requested and I feel like an idiot. Be careful out there.

2 Likes

what is reverb.taket?

It was unfortunately the scam online support site. It was really stupid of me to follow the instructions because it felt wrong as I did it but I have had stupid processes to follow in the past and thought maybe it was right

I’m currently waiting to speak to their actual online support now and raised a claim with my bank. I just wanted to warn others to be less gullible than me

4 Likes

I’ve sold something like 400 items on reverb the last 8 years…dont buy many things but just make sure the seller has good ratings and been around a long time. There are scams, just have to be careful.

4 Likes

do you have any idea how they would know to send you the message, was it the ‘seller’ that is scamming you or?

I’ve learnt an expensive lesson for sure. I won’t be hurrying and I’ll be checking any offers that come through to see their feedback. Reverb were already aware of this particular scam when I got through to them, which is nice.

1 Like

They made an offer but in my eagerness to sell, I didn’t pay enough attention. The message was from “REVERB SUPPORT”, which turned out to be their username. It directed me to a site that looked legit enough when wasn’t paying enough attention. The next bit is where I was most stupid. I entered my card details and received a message to ask me to verify a notification on my banking app. I kept up my stupidity by doing it and that was me authorising their withdrawal of my money. I literally gave them permission to take it. They really got me good. I’ve had to cancel my card and raise a contested payment with the bank. I’m just hoping they don’t take my verification in the app as a reason not to recover the money

Not the same thing but I got a call from a supposed law clerk asking for my wife…that she needed to answer her phone from a lawyer for an old credit card she never paid. They said if we paid 50% of the old debt, it would not go to collections…we kept asking for which credit card and something in writing and they said they would put a lien on our house, etc. Eventually my wife told them to F off and hung up and nothing since…totally fake crap.

ok I got it… . terrible experience … I always feel a bit gutted when I see someone going through something like this … I hope reverb will sort it out…

I have strong mixed feelings about them… I’ve had many good transactions but one time I found someone selling a sampler on their store that was actually my sampler at least they were using my photos to either sell a sampler or do whatever they were doing and I alerted reverb to the situation and pointed out my earlier sale that of course had gone through but was still in my history etc…
they did absolutely nothing while saying they were going to handle it… I told them that this could reflect poorly on me because people could literally see the same pictures on two different stores and mine had been sold and theirs was for sale and to my knowledge they never did a damn thing… I just don’t get it.

I’m really sorry you went through that, I hope you get your money back!

In my experience the best way to keep scammers away when you’re selling is to simply not allow offers. If you want to get rid of something quickly price it ridiculously low (but not so low it’s unbelievable too good to be true price). The two times that I left the offer option on almost every single person who contacted me was shady as hell; they either lowballed me or were obviously scams.

1 Like

i think scammers in general have started to dip further into music gear sales.

yesterday i saw a local posting on craigslist for a “free” Access Virus 61 key and i knew it had to be a scam so i hit them up to see what they are trying to pull. they are doing the classic living space rental scam where they say they are actually out of town and will happily mail you the item if you give them your address and pay for shipping.

just gotta be aware of all scams and if someone is asking you for money, tell them to prove it and block them.

1 Like

As I say, I’ll be super cautious in future. I’ve had mostly good experiences with them but I’ve really only had successful sales in the past so I’ve not had reason to have a problem. Realistically, they’ve just been there following bad eBay experience in the past, so I felt like my options were slim. Definitely sucks to get scammed.

1 Like

I saw a Craigslist ad selling an Analog Keys. Said first person to get down to Seattle gets it…I had been the first to respond and said I could not get down there right away…he offered to take 1/2 payment to hold it…nope…in person cash or nothing…he never responded.

1 Like

I guess it’s a fairly lucrative market given the price of music tech and everyone loving a bargain. It does fall into the luxury goods end of things, so an easy target

1 Like

I still use Reverb quite a bit, but have to be much more cautions than even a year ago.
When selling you now get instant ‘offers’ from dodgy profiles with the usual instructions/threats etc. that you can just decline. There’s the usual lowballing to stay strong about. But I still get decent sales with real people on there, as said above, striking up a conversation is a good way to check people out.

@Snillord sorry for your experience. I report the scam offers whenever I receive them so hopefully Reverb can keep up

This scam is doing the rounds of Discogs sellers at the moment.

It’s a “good” one if people aren’t used to checking the exact domain on URLs because marketplaces are having to verify seller identities for legal reasons (income reporting) and in response to other scams.