[Rev2] enter notes of a sequence in live recording from the Rev2

Hello there,
I am quite new with the Digitakt.
I’m looking for a way to play something on the Rev2 so that it records the thing in live mode (quantized or not).
I don’t find the way to do it :frowning:
If you have some tips or insights thank you !
Have a good day

Hey there, welcome to Elektronauts :slight_smile:

I got a Rev2 and some experience with the Digitakt. Do you want to use the Rev2 keyboard to record sequences into the Digitakt’s sample tracks?

Or do you want to use the Digitakt midi sequencer to sequence the Rev2, by playing the Rev2 from its keyboard into the Takt and then have the Takt play it back to the Rev2?

I’ve done all of this and then some other stuff too, it can all be done but both the Rev2 and the Digitakt can be a bit midi fiddly, especially if you’re going to use the Rev2’s bi-timbral mode.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, that’s exactly that :
I want to use the Digitakt midi sequencer to sequence the Rev2, by playing the Rev2 from its keyboard into the Takt and then have the Takt play it back to the Rev2?

Whaou :smiley_cat: how to do that !

What you want to do is the following:

1. Connect MIDI OUT of Rev2 to MIDI IN of Digitakt and vice versa
  2. Select a MIDI channel for MIDI output from the Rev2 (say CH1). Setup Digitakt such that it listens to MIDI on that channel (CH1).
  3. Select a MIDI channel for MIDI output from the Digitakt (say CH2). Setup Rev2 such that it listens to MIDI on that channel (CH2).
  4. Profit!

^ What @ande said ^

You might wanna disable the Rev2’s internal sequencer as well, to make sure they don’t conflict, in the Global settings menu. And don’t forget to enable the midi channel on the midi track of the Digitakt that you want to record into, or it won’t record any midi input from the Rev2.

Also, the Rev2 has more voices than one Digitakt midi track can handle, since the Rev2 is at least eight voice polyphonic or more, depending on which one you have. So if you’re experiencing the odd voice stealing, consider this if you’re wondering what’s going on.

Thank you guys !
I do everything you say, the Rev2 records the sequence into the Digitakt but it’s the audio of the Digitakt that’s playing, not the Rev2 midi.
:’(
That’s a start but I want that my Rev2 plays back why I did record !

Record into a MIDI sequencer track on the Digitakt, not into an audio track.

Thank you, but how to do that ?

Selecting MIDI tracks is described on page 15 of the Digitakt’s manual: hold the [TRK] key and then press one of the [TRIG 9-16] keys.

1 Like

This does’nt work, it still plays the audio 1 instead of midi 9

It works if I’m playing the digitakt chromatic keyboard, but as soon as I play on the Rev2 it does’nt record, only audio (the kick in this example).

So you’re saying you’ve a kick on DT channel 1 and when you press play the kick sequence plays.
you’re trying to get the Rev to play from a sequence on midi channel 9 at the same time but it aint triggering the rev.
sounds like you don’t have your midi settings set up correctly (either on the DT or Rev or both).

check em again.
makes sure on DT midi sync out - on.
and check your Rev midi sync settings.

edit: ah you’re trying to play in from the rev keyboard. this is a bit too much for my brain this early.
gotta check your auto channel etc.

HEhehe I hope you will be more available to help me soon ! I don’t find how to solve my newbie problem !

have you checked youtube? theres plenty of digitakt midi vids on there.

if i understand your predicament correctly you have to set up your REv2 as both a midi slave (to allow the digitakt to send it note information) and as a midi controller keyboard (so you can use the Rev2 to enter notes on the digitakt while live recording).

if you approach both of these things as 2 separate steps in setting it all up, and search youtube for both those steps.
“Digitakt & controller keyboard”
and “digitakt & external synth”
kinda searches, you should get where you want to be.

Tell us the following information:

In the Rev2’s Global settings:

• What MIDI channel number have you set?
  • Is Multi Mode on or off?
  • Is Local Control on?

In the DT’s SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > PORT CONFIG menu:

• What have you set for OUTPUT TO?

In the DT’s SETTINGS > MIDI CONFIG > CHANNELS menu:

• What MIDI channel numbers have you set for (audio) tracks 1-8?
  • What have you set for AUTO CHANNEL?

On each of the DT’s MIDI tracks:

• What MIDI channel number have you set in the SRC page?
1 Like