Retrokits RK008 - midi recorder/sequencer

good summation, it probably keeps the stuff out of the way that the pyramid and deluge keep in the way (not derogatorily) just the complexity being replaced by the vibe of an audio looper with decent after editing?

I dunno :grin:

2 Likes

this looks interesting! like @captain8 mentioned, it would be nice if it had a suite of midi FX to alter the sequences you put into it.

if itā€™s reasonably priced, i feel like you could pair this up with a keystep 37 and achieve very similar functionality as a keystep pro for hopefully less money (and less space :slight_smile: !)

hmm, seems like iā€™m about to redesign my portable rig when itā€™s released.
this is a perfect solution to sequence DSI Tetra without wasting precious tracks in MC-101.

Yeah, the MMT-8 comparison doesnā€™t really stand out for me, since the Pyramid was also designed to be an MMT-8 on steroidsā€¦ But itā€™s cheaper and smaller, and seems less complicated than a Pyramid, so thereā€™s all that. The big selling point of the MMT-8 was how quick and easy it was (at least, it was for this dumb teenager in the 80s). I suppose thereā€™s still value in a basic, no-frills sequencer thatā€™s cheap and straightforward. Especially if itā€™s easier to edit steps on the RK008 than it is on the MMT-8ā€™s tiny displayā€¦

Itā€™s not gonna replace my Pyramid (or MPC, or Ableton), but if itā€™s under $250 I could see it as an option for a portable setup.

7 Likes

regarding Pyramid comparisons: Pyramid is NOT simple (despite its well-designed workflow).
itā€™s all about advanced features.

3 Likes
9 Likes

important facts i learned from the above video:
ā€” will be around ā‚¬350
ā€” has 2 MIDI ins (hell yeah!) and 2 MIDI outs that can be used for MIDI routing as well
so far so good, iā€™ll buy one (or eventually two).

Editing steps ? Can we expect that ? I was assuming, since it appears to simply record a stream of midi events that it would not include that ā€¦ but if the MMT-8 did it ?

It doesnā€™t look like itā€™s gonna be a step editor, no. Fine by me, for what I care about.

Its a little sparse on unique : new features and a little expensive atm ā€¦ hopefully more features will be revealed as it gets closer to release

unlikely to replace my elektron sequencers .

1 Like

Iā€™m really excited for this, but also hoping some other features will be included/revealed. I was hoping itā€™d be a little cheaper, but I am almost certainly going to get one of these, and their RK-006 MIDI hub.

Yes, at least the rk06 is on my list. It seems the rk08 as well.

Lots of things I hear about it are similar to Roland SuperMRC, which ran on things like MC 300/500/50.

In those you could wheel through every event as a line giving time position, note/cc, velocity/ value and channel.

Live record (or direct event entry) was the norm but you could also generate patterns using a looping step editor intended for rhythmic stuff. It would be like 8 or 16(?) dashes per bar which you move through and nudge the value up to make a small or large dot - quiet or loud velocity values - all for the same note (eg. Kick) - x0x style programming on a calculator screen basically

Pretty sure one of the videos for the RK008 mentions a step interface - maybe itā€™s like that?

This Engadget write-up also briefly mentions a simple step sequencer:

2 Likes

Nickā€™s video is a little longer

4 Likes

Indeed. I would be very surprised if you couldnā€™t at least edit note values and other basic events, as you could on the MMT-8.

1 Like

Oh wow he seems to confirm early on that you can record linear style too

1 Like

Iā€™ve never used the MMT-8, so I donā€™t know what people mean when they talk about it as an alltime great sequencer.

What I do like though is a sequencer that will let me record in linear mode, as I have more than enough pattern-oriented hardware sequencers (Octatrack, Volcas, MC-101). I donā€™t care about detailed step editing as long as I can easily dump my sequence into a DAW for detailed editing.

1 Like

But they may just refer to step input, demoed in one of the videos for kick drum input. Doesnā€™t necessarily mean you can edit the steps, other than apply quantise, swing and transpose to the whole track.

Your Elektron sequencers only record what is played within a predefined number of steps, and at a moderately low resolution, without any sort of strummed chord behavior (where the multiple notes are played slightly offset within the space of 1 or 2 steps) , do not record pitch bend or mod wheel movements, and also do not smoothly record parameter changes. The RK-008 has none of those limitations, so Iā€™d say it would be a companion to your Elektron sequencers rather than a replacement. You could have a few keyboards looped through the RK-008 (which would be synced to your Elektron machines) and you could freely play as long as you wanted, then loop, and that loop would sync. You could then trim down to the number of steps you want after recording. The loop would also sound identical to how it did when you played, which is rarely the case with Elektron sequencers when playing polyphonically or very quickly. Also, any knob on those synths that you wanted to record movement on, is available without any sort of setup or config; just hit record, twist, and it is recorded in time with your other sequencers with super high resolution. Keep checking out demos of this thing, I think you might find it useful. Basically itā€™s totally unlike Elektron sequencers and crucially, you do not have to define a length, you can play as long as you want.

I guess if youā€™re only having your Elektron machines play mono basslines, on a certain breed of analog machines that have no CC controllable parameters but do accept MIDI note data like a Karp Odyssey or the Behringer stuff or whatever, then yeah this is useless to you, but for sequencering something like a Peak or Virus or whateverā€¦ this would be so sick.

7 Likes