Retrokits RK-002 for Octatrack

So this supposedly adds polyphony to the DT and OT. I was thinking of buying a simple FM synth for a band project, but if this adds true polyphony to the OT I could get away with having 4 tracks for beats and 4 tracks for FM samples played with a keyboard. Does anyone have one of these cables & have used it with the OT? Do you think the plan above would work well enough to actually play full songs with?

Check this:

3 Likes

Thanks, but doesn’t answer my question directly. Seems more like troubleshooting. I’m sure that thread will come in handy if and when I actually buy an RK-002 cable.

Yes of course but the people in that post already have experience with the subject so maybe better to ask details over there so all info about the topic stays in 1 spot. Everybody wins! :nerd_face:

3 Likes

I’m sure Sezare will find his way here eventually… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I am sure the mods will move this one over :100::stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A lot of people have good experiences with these, I got one to use as a MIDI filter and had a lot of trouble with it, YMMV. Definitely the most convenient and affordable option if it works for you. For a bit more money and the inconvenience of being another powered box, a MIDIpal clone (MIDIgal, MIDIbro, etc. - I’ve got an original MIDIpal and a DIY MIDIgal and both work just as well) will do everything an RK002 does and more, without having to program it from a clunky browser-based app that’s extremely picky about what MIDI interface you use. But if you don’t build it yourself it’s almost 3 times the cost of the RK-002, unfortunately. DIY it’s not that expensive at all and it’s a really simple build so maybe you know someone who would help you out if you can’t build it yourself.

Talking about midi processors? :loopy:

The RK002 works perfectly well with OT for poly stuff, you can even record Slices or Slots on several tracks (not sure if it’s possible to record correctly in Chromatic mode, from what I tested).

I also have a Midipal, its poly modes are better (the RK002 only rotates at each note, Midipal can remember notes and keep same midi channel).

Concerning programming, the Midipal is simpler, but more limited. It already has nice features, without the need of programming.
You can go much further with the RK002 imho.

The Midipal requires a battery or extra power, the RK002 requires to be midi powered.

RK002 + OT

6 Likes

My RK-002 seems to have lost its (Volca Sample) firmware after not being used for a couple of years.

Maybe it can be restored - some time when I can be arsed with the browser/interface thing, and then I hope it will be for OT polyphony (that cool 3rd party Sample firmware made the RK002 redundant for the volca)

Mine was an early one - before they put an orange end on - but still I was surprised it lost its settings

1 Like

Obviously completely besides the point but can this also function as a standard midi cable if needed? sending transport etc… to the OT?

I think there is a configuration for that available on their webpage

1 Like

Thanks, will have a look

It’s all about midi channels, clock/transport filtering. You can use midi processing on certain channels only, other things playing normally on other channels.

1 Like

I see, so I could configure channel 10 for example to cycle through playback of OT 1-4 (or whatever), then change midi keyboard channel to 9 (or whatever) and it will behave as any other midi cable?

Sorry, basically repeating myself, but moreso wondering if this can be done on the fly like the above example - without requiring the cable to be configured again

If you’re interested in the Polymux, yes, you can. It can be configured to process only 1 channel.

@grit may answer better than me about other existing scripts. They can be modified.

1 Like

Hi, yes you could do that, there is a new polymux library as well which does not only rotate notes but has note reserve as well, here’s a basic sketch for it with some options:

https://duy.retrokits.com/303fd9ef-0bf4-4b42-ab65-354fef4537ca/

you could also choose to increment channels with a foot pedal for example, it all depends on what fits your workflow

2 Likes

Thanks all :+1:

Count this as another vote for the RK-002. Lot’s of premade scripts in their library but if you can code even better. love mine.

1 Like

can someone please explain step by step how to record the pattern I play polyphonically on MIDI keyboard into Octatrack via the RK-002 when in Live Recording Mode?

Default OT midi channels are 1-8. Set RK002 midi channels accordingly.
https://duy.retrokits.com/303fd9ef-0bf4-4b42-ab65-354fef4537ca/

Plug RK002 black end in keyboard midi out, orange in Octatrack midi in.

Rec + Play to enter Live Recording, play.

2 Likes