Retrigger amp envelope on key up with external keyboard

How can I make an external MIDI keyboard retrigger notes on the A4 the same way as the internal keyboard does when multiple keys are pressed, and the last key is lifted? I’m honestly not sure if there’s a technical term to describe the situation. Something like disabling legato on key up.

For example, suppose I hold down the C key, and then press the D key while continuing to hold the C. With single note polyphony, D takes over, as expected. If I lift the D key, the still depressed C takes over and is retrigged if I’m using the internal keyboard, but I get silence if I do the same with an external keyboard. I can see the midi message for C is still down in the DAW.

My setup is Komplete Kontrol M32 in MIDI mode, routed to A4 MK 2 on MIDI channel one via Overbridge in Ableton Live.

Sincere apologies if this is covered elsewhere, as this is my first post and I’ve done my best at due diligence with the manual, forum search, and Google. Thanks for all the wealth of knowledge available here.

After further investigation this appears to be the functionality only in Overbridge. If I simply send midi output via a regular Ableton midi channel to the A4 without override it works the same way as the internal keyboard. Likewise if I plug directly into the midi port. I see no setting in the plug-in, nor described in the Overbridge manual. Am I missing something? Happy to have this workaround but would be a shame to give up on Overbridge entirely.

leaving aside DAW/Overbridge nuances for a moment, if you want an external keyboard to mimic what the internal one does then use the dedicated channel for that, it’s the auto channel - it will(should) be a unique value (not one by default) - set up the external controlling device to talk to A4 on the auto channel and it should replicate (and augment) internal functionality

1 Like

I had seen auto channel mentioned multiple times, but could not get it setup (over channel 9 or otherwise). With more investigation, this seems to work if I send midi on channel 9 through a regular Ableton midi channel, not the overbridge plugin, as above. Searching the forum for overbridge and auto channel, this seems to be a common factor: Overbridge auto channel

I’m fine with sending midi over dedicated channels, just a bit confused why midi over Overbridge would behave so differently, and doesn’t seem to be documented anywhere beyond forum posts. Furthermore, it seems to go against the setup instructions in the Overbridge manual on page 35 “ABLETON STEP FIVE — DISABLE USB MIDI”.