Resampling as a compositional & sound design tool on Elektron and other devices

I still haven’t dove into resampling on the DT and OT yet, but I’m wondering if any folks here can talk about their workflow with regard to resampling, and also about their approaches to using it as a compositional tool.

When I get around to it, I’d imagine I will use it to create some complex synth textures more so than as a process for rhythmic variations (though I won’t rule this usage out).

So, I guess I’m wondering why you guys resample, how you’ve gone about doing it for your specific workflow, and if you know any other pieces of hardware that allow for resampling.

1 Like

When I think of resampling as a compositional tool instead of a sound design tool im thinking of the way the Sp404 was used due to its sequencer limitations.

In its most basic for it is just layering samples over the other and repeat until you get the track you want. So you could start with hi-hat loop sample as your sample #1. Then you want a snare, so you record both the hi hat loop but also add a snare making it sample #2. The hi hat with the snare is essentially your first resample. Then you just rinse and repeat.

You are basically composing by layers and having your initial sample be resampled until you get many layers.

2 Likes

I mostly use realtime resampling CUE as sample based fx (pitch, reverse, pitch delay with feedback), resampling MAIN to record something longer, or to create slices chain.

I forgot them. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool. Yeah, I meant as a music-making tool. It could be sound design, it could be how you piece together the entire composition. I retooled the subject heading to be a bit more specific.

But, I get what you’re saying as far as composing in layers based on that initial sample. Interesting. I’ve never played around with the SP404. So, would you say the Elektron variant of resampling functions in a similar way to the SP-404?

Resampling for sound design is similar too. But since the goal is different you can apply other things like effects to a sample. Once the sample is recorded with the effect its a resample.

It works on Elektron too. I think the main reason people started resampling on the 404 is because of its limitations, not because it was an effective way to compose, most samplers today dont have those limitations though so I dont think that many people use it for composing.

I really didn’t like Sp505, but resampling was interesting indeed (maybe the only thing).
I should try to layer more with OT.
Quite easy with a midi track controling several tracks on the same channel…

I resample with the digitakt when I run out of tracks sometimes, but usually you can cram a couple rhythm tracks into one with sound locks.
I like to resample and then use lfo’s to duck the audio and create a new groove for the pattern I was working on
This can help with transitions too, where you may have two patterns consolidated (resampled) onto two tracks giving you the freedom to transition and fade how you like.
You can also lengthen samples by slowing them down, for instance you could record a 30 sec beat at double time, then pitch the sample down after consolidating the tracks to create a minute long pattern longer than you might be able to make with the sequencer.

I agree it gives it a unique kind of sound, pretty much what Dilla and the old school hip hop guys where doing on the SP/Emu. Its just not a very easy or fast way to work.

I always wonder what Dilla would be using if he was still around today.

1 Like

Maybe, but after 2 years with OT, it was difficult to love it! I bought it for my son. :smile:
Here making a resampling demo :

6 Likes

nice track! :grin: playing the drum pad underneath too?

1 Like

On the DT, I resample a lot to make simple one shots into detuned, layered monsters.

I haven’t been as happy with loop resampling, but there is a lot of potential.

You can easily add light parallel layers to thin loops: Have two layers with filter resonance lightly emphasizing the low and highs with the third being the original clean one.

3 Likes

I do a lot of resampling on the OT, it’s one of my favourite sound design processes. I played a live set last year, using the OT and Nord Modular, where each sequential pattern took a sample of the last, mangled it and added new sounds… here’s a little sample from around the mid-point:

Most of what I like to do is using LFOs on the pitch, inspired by Autechre’s track Stop Look Listen; other than that, using filters/effects and manipulating the start point/retriggering gets some great results too, especially when recording that into a new sample to be manipulated further. I sadly didn’t get a recording of the full set, but it’s definitely a technique I want to continue with…

3 Likes