Replicate AK Transpose via external midi controller?

I don’t think it’s possible as I’ve scanned manual, etc. I see some really old posts that mention it but so much has changes since '14…

Is it possible to transpose via external midi controller?

I’ve tried locking Transpose then sending AK midi notes, but they just play per midi channel.

I’m not sure what you mean by ‘replicate’ because AFAIK (i’m A4) whether you play on the AK keyboard or send midi notes externally they always take precedence over the sequencer, always.

Transpose only applies to stored sequenced notes … If you have transpose+2 live on a track and play a C you will hear a C, if you’re recording the next pass will play a D … it doesn’t matter whether you’re playing the A4/K or external midi keys

Transpose applies to sequenced notes
Midi (or local) keys takes precedence over sequenced steps

1 Like

Hey,

What I mean is that on my Ak I can hold lock and transpose and when I play the built in keyboard, it will transpose the pattern or sequence.

However, I’d like to emulate that transpose function with an external midi controller…

So… I’ve got three drum pads. One is middle c, one is an octave higher and one is an octave lower. I want to transpose the pattern/sequence by hitting these pads, not by playing the built in keyboard.

But now, when I hit those pads, even if I have transpose locked, it just plays those notes into the active channel. Make sense?

I don’t want those notes to play, I want them to be the transpose source.

Look into Midi Multimap mode. Can’t wrap my brain around it at this moment…

But I’m pretty sure you can play the multimap from an external and trigger transpose functions on the multimap. I’m pretty sure you can pull this off, good luck.

EDIT: 55 of the manual. You can do this, send your external midi signal to the Perf midi channel, then set up your multimode to have transpose related functions on the pad’s notes.

Yea, that may have to be the way I approach it (assuming i can figure it out), as I just got word from the Elektron Mothership that you can’t do the transpose via midi)… So it looks like I may have a use for the keyboard on the AK after all! :slight_smile:

No, what I’m saying is that you can do it with your pads. You just need to send the pad hits to the perf channel and have a multimode setup with transpose assigned to the notes. By playing into the perf channel with your external pad, you are playing the multimode keyboard externally.

So perf channel=multi-mode channel. I missed that! Thanks!