Replacing my DT with AR or OT?

I am going to sell my DT for about 500/550€ and I am looking for another Elektron device; I found actually one Octatrack for 650€ and an Analog Rytm for 800… both are Mk1, what would you advice to me?
Octatrack is on my wishlist since years but the AR is definetely not bad at all, I really feel at a crossroads and I don’t know what to choose :expressionless:

In case you’re not aware, AR MK1 can not sample directly like the AR MK2. You’ll have to load samples via PC/MAC.

2 Likes

Octatrack

What do you want the device to do? What do you currently use your DT for?

The OT sounds like a pretty good deal

1 Like

I think the AR workflow is closer to the DT, and it give you more track and analog engine. The OT workflow is deeper but it can act exactly as the DT too. And it give you stereo sample and more FX.

I think, if you used your DT strictly as drum machine, go for AR. If you used your DT as groovebox that do full track, go for OT.

3 Likes

Agree with @blaize. The AR is like a bigger, better digitakt (although the workflow is less streamlined).

The OT seems like a way deeper, more complex machine, and might be difficult to use compared to the DT.

Well, i bought the DT sometimes ago only because my budget was limited but my real wish was the OT, but having sold the DT means I got no devices which are straight drum machines… that’s why I am not going full on the OT and having some thought on the AR.
On the other hand I would be very interested into exploring the highly recognized workflow of the OT and be very excited of its capability of external gear processing; some years ago I had a Monomachine which was used mainly for this reason, I would have connected some audio in and then use its 6 tracks for incredible sound layering, It war very fun and I really miss that now!

No one can really do that for you. But for what it’s worth, I’ve owned all three. However, coming from a DT, you’re going to find that MKIs will take some getting used to. The screens are the major factor, but also the buttons (especially for OT MKI, which was dramatically improved with the MKII version in terms of usability with the extra buttons). I would save up longer to get a MKII if you can because you might end up wondering (like with your DT) what might have improved on the newer models. The ability to sample (and resample internally) is a massive plus point for the MKII Rytm, for example. That is worth the higher price point alone, and to a lesser extent the better pads and more spacious layout. But it really is down to personal choice, what you want out of the machines and whether you want to save money now (but possibly pay more in the long run if you ‘upgrade’ again).

I just got an Octatrack (thank God for in store financing!) and was going to sell my Digitakt to knock off a good chunk of the debt. As I’m getting to know the Octatrack I’ve come to the conclusion that having both is the best option for me. The Octatrack can do everything the Digitakt can do and more (really loving the slots and slices modes), however you’re gonna use up those tracks really quick unless you’re constantly resampling. By keeping the Digitakt around and syncing it with the Octatrack I’m able to have a lot more options available.