[Seems to be resolved] Syntakt frozen at startup screen on cold start

Hello!

Update

I got my unit back and it does the exact same thing. I was told they reflashed it. I guess it didn’t help.

Update 2

I will get a replacement. I was told that the issue I am experiencing could be caused by a software issue, so a replacement might not resolve it, but it is also clear that I am experiencing it a lot more than others.

Reflashing and reinstalling the OS via Elektron Transfer are apparently different things as well, so my attempts with Elektron Transfer were probably not enough.

Update 3

I got my replacement a while ago and it seems to be working fine for now.

Original post

My Syntakt regularly freezes when I turn it on for the first time for the day. The boot logo appears then nothing. Sometimes I get a black screen, sometimes I also hear a buzzing noise that is slowly going up in frequency.

Test mode shows no errors.

The issue is always resolved by rebooting the device.

This in fact happened the very first time I turned on the unit, and after repeated reboots (with waiting 30 seconds in-between) only a factory reset made it boot up.

I am already in contact with Elektron support and I’m doing some testing to rule out my environment as a cause before I send it back.

A little bit about my setup: I use a power strip with a switch and I turn that switch off after I am done using my music desk.

I always turn on the power strip first and then my Syntakt.
I always turn off the Syntakt first and then the power strip.

Something like this happened to my Digitakt a few times but not to my Digitone. Elektron support claims that this is caused by some bug affecting a super capacitor.

I’m wondering if there are others with this issue.

Cheers!

I use my Syntakt with a power switch and never encountered such a problem.

I would think it might be due to the PSU, but as you said you observed this earlier, it might be something else.

• Try to plug your ST directly to the wall socket, see if you can rule out the power strip.
  • Change the PSU, if you have another Elektron one that fits.
  • Plug the ST to another wall socket, to rule out the other one.
2 Likes

I had this happen when I was experimenting with an older 12V DC battery powering the ST. Concluded that it was insufficient burst voltage for boot up.

Confirm you’re using the included power supply, perhaps try other 12V 2A PSUs you may have laying around, and if it continues, contact support, as you still have a couple years warranty remaining.

1 Like

This is issue happened first with the original power supply, right after unboxing the unit, in my kitchen.

Then again in my living room, where the unit currently lives. I changed to the power supply of my Digitakt and it crashed on me twice, all while sitting idle. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not though because the same crash also happened right after unboxing the unit and getting past the boot animation.

What happens if you don’t use the power strip?

I haven’t tried it recently but the first time I turned it on I used a wall socket directly and it still froze/crashed on me.

1 Like

It is also difficult to do a lot of testing because the issue only appears after the unit has been sittin off overnight. The crash messages are new.

Digitone did this. Was fixed with update.

When you say “this” what exactly do you mean?

digitone froze on first boot. Had to be rebooted 2-3 times. Then it was good.

That actually makes me more concerned because if the Syntakt has the same issue then a replacement unit would not fix my issue.

By the way, I was able to reproduce it with a different PSU-3c power supply, still plugged in to my power strip.

Tomorrow I will test what happens if I plug in the power supply directly to a wall socket.

Hard to say. Maybe firmware fix, or issue with your unit.

I don’t think it’s a firmware issue because I haven’t seen anyone else speak of this issue. It’s most likely an isolated issue with the persons unit.

That’s not normal. My Syntakt doesn’t have this issue.

Try this: Turn on power strip switch and wait 1 minute. Then turn the Syntakt on.

I think my unit is dying: https://youtu.be/eotRKoA7xXI

Yep, I’d say that’s pretty buggered.

Yeah that’s not normal at all and I believe a faulty unit for sure. However I doubt anything firmware related would help but I wonder out of being curious, just try and upload 1.01 firmware again and see if there’s any change. I mean just maybe the firmware got corrupted somewhere, worth a try maybe?

I can try that, but what you see in the video is not new and it also happened with the 1.00 OS. I just remembered to film this time.

1 Like

My Digitone was doing this, so back to the store it went and they replaced with it with a new one from the factory. Afraid to have some buggy stuff happen in a live setting.