Repitch on OT

I couldn’t find anything on this. After going back to my OT after not using for a while I thought I remember it repitching samples when you change the tempo, like slowing down a record. The DT now does this with it’s 1.50 update calling it “repitch”. Am I imagining it that the OT does it?

I know you can change the pitch / rate but it doesn’t do it automatically when you adjust the tempo.

I basically never use it, but IIRC when you enable timestretch OT timestretches when you adjust the tempo. Make sure OT has the tempo right under sample attributes.

1 Like

I don’t mean timestretching, I mean it pitches down as the sample gets slower and doesn’t get that crustiness that timestretching often ends up with… Literally like slowing down a record I mean.

Ah, sorry. Yeah, if I´m not mistaken OT doensn´t do this automatically. I´d use a scene to change pitch or a scene to change rate (with rate set to pitch, you get a much greater rate for pitching down) and then just introduce the scene while I change tempo (if you have for instance drums, that you want to slow down) or work entirely with a scene and not change the tempo at all.

Mayne not ideal for your use case, but I guess Elektron thought that many users would use the OT as a combination of loop player, one shot sample player, drum sampler, mixer, live sampler, effects box etc. and having global tempo to change pitch on all tracks seemed counterintuitive to them? OT´s tool for such things are scenes, which admittedly works quite well.

Or is there something you can´t do the way you want to with a scene?

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem like there’s a way to automatically repitch as you lower the tempo, as far as I can tell.

2 Likes

Repitch isn’t implemented.
But it is possible to calculate the right pitch if your using timestretch. Soundwise it should be close to repitch.

I made some phase opposition tests a while ago : same sound with pitch +12 TSTR off vs pitch +12 TSTR on tempo x2.

Pitch +7 corresponds to tempo x1.5, Pitch -5 to tempo x0.75

If you want to change tempo in live condition to get that slow down fx, it doesn’t seem possible as is, eventually with a complex midi processing script.

4 Likes
1 Like

Yes that’s sort of what I’ve been playing around with. I guess it’s good I have a Digitakt also, so I can just get him to perform this kind of thing if I need it! It’s a shame it can’t live sample like the OT does.

1 Like

This hurt my noodle but it’s good to know it’s there if I need it. Thanks

1 Like

Probably for next DT update…(rec start quantize)

Mee too but there are apps for that. :content:

Nowing the formula helps if you want precise values, sample accurate…

1 Like