Renovating my home studio, looking for ideas

What If you put the turntables in the livingroom at 5m Wall and the other gear in the separate dedicated room?

Nope can’t do that, they are part of the studio (sampling, Serato etc)

Looking for more ideas, not just desk related, anything about home made studios!

If you wanna go custom, my number one tip is take your time and do it right.
Make plans, make temporary mock ups using stands, blank pieces of wood and blocks to make shelves, get a feel for how you want things to go together.

I like everything right in front, no side desk, so my design would reflect that.
I feel like keeping the turntables/mixer to the side is fine, but synths right in front.
You want the synths to sit right in-front of you, NOT behind a computer keyboard, or midi keyboard, not 1-2 feet back from the edge.
If you need a computer keyboard, build a shelf that rolls out from under.
I actually prefer my midi keyboard behind/top of my elektron boxes.

I’ve tried a few things over the years
Was here ages ago

Then I decided to go for it with a semi portable thing.
Far to bulky and heavy

Got an Octatrack, and ditched the RYTM for a Tempest in an effort to simplify and be more mobile,
so back to a make shift plan

Then I went full Trinity in an effort to simplify even more.
After all these efforts I definitely had an idea dialed in.
Never completed it though due to a few design flaws with the tight space behind the boxes.
4ac425f2d79bcd8d9a23dc337e5b93595c194e22_1_690x388
0518f02d4104e9bf9aae4d558378051c203b0dc3
9c2cf5641c7506d4a565ec48e9f5dc723dc43ff6_1_666x500

Started to have different ideas about where to go

So I tried an Oddesy Case
I REALLY LOVED this case and set up, however it was terribly heavy.
57ef47e26ba8ac18b4711b633a601929c75f190c_1_666x500

I mocked up designs for a new proper, stationary desk, however now I live in a tiny apartment.
My latest idea is a rolling desk, so I have been trying this out.
I LOVE it, but need to figure out how I can maybe alter the height, pull it over my bed, OR the couch ets.
So currently I am testing out this kind of layout

I love thinking about this stuff.
I was scrolling the Your Setups thread, there’s some really cool stuff in there if you dig
I liked this one!

10 Likes

Hah, so many setups, so many ideas, thanks! All of my setups were pretty much the same, just different boxes cramped on the same desks pictured for many, many years!

1 Like

My desk is made of the largest linnmon table top from ikea and I made a rack bridge out of two Rast night stand type thingamajigs, also from ikea. I connected the two rasts with a long board and that is the bridge. The rast is exactly 19" rack size. I shortened the rasts and made them 4u. In the end I have what some people pay 1,500 dollars for. I also added a slide out drawer on the bottom for my keyboard.

1 Like

Don’t follow my example : I should have finished my music room 2 years ago…:slightly_frowning_face:
It’s huge mess, here is the less messy part : :smile:

10 Likes

Nice! You have Pictures you would Share?

Aha…this: https://youtu.be/evbWU02G5rs

What type of rgb lighting did you use? I’m thinking of adding some to my studio to get that “mood.”

I got them from Maplin before they went out of business, they are just the generic LED strips that seem to be available in most stores, you can cut them to length and they come with a small remote, similar to this although mine were not marketed as for TV surround, but they look quite similar.

2 Likes

Why not think about adding trunking with power sockets above desk height along 2 wall’s. Makes it tidy and easy to unplug or add stuff

1 Like

Is like to see more ropes and pulleys in studios. A lot more.

2 Likes

I think that’s a different type of studio :wink:

So I decided that I’m going to use the large side on my living room for my studio. It’s the most inspiring and big room with lots of natural light. That way I can use my old room as a 2nd bedroom or whatever, who cares, I’m single. :sunglasses:

L-shaped desk is probably out of the question so I guess I’ll have everything on a long, straight desk. Probably around 3.5 - 4 meters wide and 90 - 100 cm depth, it should be enough. With vinyl storage beneath the turntables. Maybe some fancy lightning too. Oh and some plants, definitely some green. Couple paintings, some posters, shelves, cable management and I’m good to go, I think. :slight_smile:

@starmanwarz a square or nearly square room is not really ideal for acoustics / harder to control. Something to consider. If you have an elongated room, the rule of thumb is that you want to place your hearing position (and speakers) roughly 1/3 of the length of the romm with the speakers facing into the other 2/3rds. So the longer room you have could be good from an acoustics point of view.

But ultimately what‘s most important is that you feel comfortable in the room and enjoy spending time in it :slight_smile:

Hey - you could cut the spare rooms door in half, screw the bottom part closed, and fill the room full of those multi coloured balls😎

2 Likes

My home rig occupies about 50% of our living room, divided the room with shelves. It can work pretty well, at least for working with headphones… Unless you is single and no cranky neighbours, then even having monitors there will not be an issue!

Monitors will be very close to the wall, unfortunately. I don’t use them as much though, I’m using a pair of Sennheiser HD600’s so I can avoid neighbors calling the police due to alien noises coming from my apartment :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Behind the wall that I plan on having my studio is my neighbor’s apartment. Would it make any sense to soundproof just this wall (or use acoustic panels or something) so I won’t annoy her too much if I decide to use my monitors, or it has to be done on the whole room?

I’m no sound guy but you could always hang up a thick blanket or rug on that wall.

2 Likes